USMC Flight Jackets..combat vet

TLeo

I recently was very generously offered the chance to obtain these two patched and named flight jackets belonging to a Marine aviator who flew missions from Henderson Field in SBDs during his three combat tours with VMSB-234. The 234 jacket is a AN J 3A and the VMF- 225 jacket is a G-1 from around 1950 when he was flying Corsairs from the FDR.

IMG_3147_zps13efe645.jpg

IMG_3145_zps7326328d.jpg

IMG_3144_zps8a49699d.jpg

Absolutely JS! These just don't come along often so am grateful to the former owner for letting me be their new caretaker

Two at a time Tom. Don't you think you need to pace yourself a bit. Congrats, Robert

Johnny Signor

AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did some leather patches a few years ago of the VMSB-234, one large "presentation" type that went to the veteran as a birthday gift and several regular sized one to the rest of the vets relatives , they sent me a photo later on that I have and cherish knowing the veteran really enjoyed having it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two at a time Tom. Don't you think you need to pace yourself a bit. Congrats, Robert

What fun would that be? :P thanks for the comments guys and thought I'd post a close up of the VMF225 patch since I had one of 234's.

IMG_3146_zps4fac4e24.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Superb, condition is everything on these jackets. Quick buy a lottery ticket before your luck runs out...

Nice find to be sure!

I've always preferred the Navy flight jackets as they are so much more functional than the A-2 and also more comfortable to wear.

Thought I would add a little history on the officer. He also held LSO qualification and after an accident aboard ship with VMF-225 he was unable to fly anymore but he went on to serve as instructor at The Basic School, as CO of 2nd tank bn., 2nd division as well as HQBn 2nd division and also 2nd Bn 1st division in Korea. He also served briefly in Vietnam before retirement. His awards include the DFC, AM w/2 stars ,AP Campaign Medal w/4 stars, Occupation Medal w/ Europe clasp, Korean Service w/ 1 star. The Europe clasp is because the FDR was serving in European waters during the occupation period while he was with 225.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a request to see the labels on these jackets so here they are.....

The AN-J-3a came out in 1943 and was used until the 55J14 came out in 1947, which was replaced by the 7823 series that came out in 1951.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Stony