The " WoW " factor ........ WW2 Luger with a Twist

Got da Penny

Got da Penny

I was able to acquire this 1937 Dated Chrome / Nickel Plated Luger from a Friend on my wife's side.

This came from her Grandfather who was a Korean War Veteran. As you guys know, Chroming of ones War Booty was

a popular thing to do Post War. This is ALL MATCHING. Not sure if veteran traded for it or chromed it later.

Franzite grips were added most likely in the 50's as this was a nice way of "customizing" your weapon.

I have named her "Twisted Chrome" :P

post-633-0-60127100-1374699357.jpg

Carey

I love the name, but it will take some time to get used to it. One thing for sure.....it will never get lost in the crowd!

Carey, As you know it is a looker and I like it. Good thing it does not have pearl handles on it. LOL will never forget Patton's thought on pearl handles..

Mike

My wife's family had one of those huge British revolvers that was a bring back from the war. Somebody put imitation pearl handles on it .... it was bizarre.

What are those "hallmark" type stampings just behind the barrel...Waffenamt proof marks? As attractive a piece as it is (and I presume "live"?) the chroming has probably de-valued it in the eyes of firearms purists. It's still a handsome piece though, for sure!

Garandomatic

Man, you don't see that every day. I happen to own a pistol that might be an authentic New Orleans pimp gun, I posted about it on the thread with the navy rig for a .38. Mine is a nickeled 1902 "no change" S&W, but my grips aren't imitation, real pearl. I figure Patton would understand the novelty of something like that in this day and age.

Got da Penny

What are those "hallmark" type stampings just behind the barrel...Waffenamt proof marks? As attractive a piece as it is (and I presume "live"?) the chroming has probably de-valued it in the eyes of firearms purists. It's still a handsome piece though, for sure!

Yes they are WaA stamps ... looks more like the "stick" eagles. Was asked if I was going to shoot it by the daughter .... I told he No, She

said "you should, I have" !! :lol:

Thanks for ALL of your comments and compliments. This is a Keeper since it came from a dear family friend.

Happy Hunting,Carey

• 2 weeks later...

fyi,a local vet i knew had a chromed luger like yours,he told me that there was a place in paris where you could get anything you wanted chromed in exchange for food or cigs or money,he had his done for 25 cents

As attractive a piece as it is (and I presume "live"?) the chroming has probably de-valued it in the eyes of firearms purists. It's still a handsome piece though, for sure!

Of course it's a fully functioning weapon! We live in the US of A. ;)

and as for the value, yes... the chroming and non-original grips really take the value down to incredibly low levels compared to an original.

still a cool find, but since it's been messed with I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it.

USCapturephotos

fyi,a local vet i knew had a chromed luger like yours,he told me that there was a place in paris where you could get anything you wanted chromed in exchange for food or cigs or money,he had his done for 25 cents

That's the kind of story I find so interesting.

Paul

Used to see a lot of these.

Recently saw a matched 1914 Erfurt at an estate sale.

Some folks have removed the plating with very mixed results.

Best to leave it alone.

These are in the $600-$800 range.

Got da Penny

Fred, I don't intend to shoot it ... Mostly a collector not a shooter. Some people don't agree, mostly my buddies. Ha

Being British I'm not a shooter, for obvious reasons! However, I've handled many firearms (almost all deactivated, including my own) and the Luger remains perhaps the most "comfortable" pistol in the hand. I don't what it is but it just feels....right. Know what I mean?

Being British I'm not a shooter, for obvious reasons! However, I've handled many firearms (almost all deactivated, including my own) and the Luger remains perhaps the most "comfortable" pistol in the hand. I don't what it is but it just feels....right. Know what I mean?

Thats how I feel about 1911s.

Nice looking trophy.

• 3 months later...

This takes me back to my school days, when out in the school yard, a kid was running around with one of them :o , the good old days :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

You should give it to your newest facebook friend.

lol

Rich, I should, but, ..... since I was "entrusted to care for" this Heirloom from the friend of my wife's family. I will keep it in the collection as promised. ;)

i just remembered that 2 of those were floating around the frankfort/georgetown area for a few years,one gunshop in g-town called me in to look and place value on them as the owner knew i collected 3rd reich stuff,guy that was trying to sell them told owner they were from hitlers personal bodyguards,i had a good laugh outta that one,