The James Paris Collection

Stinger Gunner USMC

Stinger Gunner USMC

William F. Hunold of Iowa City, IA served in Anti-tank Platoon, C Co. 86th Mountain Infantry Regiment in the N. Apennienes and Po Valley campaigns

post-1672-0-27687400-1383186569.jpg

post-1672-0-97846400-1383186594.jpg

Some fantastic uniforms with great history and research; your efforts to bring the service of the men who wore them is very much appreciated and hopefully will be on line for future collectors and historians to view. May the legacy of these men and all men and women who have served our country in the armed forces never be forgotten.

Thanks,

John

Stinger Gunner USMC

BigJohn and Beast, thanks for the kind comments, I really appreciate your remarks. I do have to say that I am somewhat surprised that the day has come that I can post a Medal of Honor receipent's uniform, a Marine Raider and a Marine Officer KIA uniform in the same day and only receive two replies. I guess the forum has existed for such a period of time that we have all become descencitized to the content?

Stinger Gunner USMC

You have 1,400 hits on your thread, trust me people are looking and enjoying your thread such as myself.

Incredible items!

LF

No, I understand. I was just commenting on how the forum has changed over the years. I wasn't trying to pout about nobody commenting on my personal items. back in the early days of the forum members would get into great discussions about items, ask questions and so forth, I think that our great forum has gotten so large and is so full of amazing items that it is hard for members to keep up with all the posts so most just move on or give a quick "looks great" comment.

Stinger Gunner USMC

Corporal William T. Jackson was one of at least two brothers to serve in the Marine Corps. Unfortunately, I missed his brothers' uniform as both were listed with BIN auctions on ebay a couple weeks ago. William was with F/3/7 as a replacement on Okinawa and joined the fight sometime in May, 1945, likely receiving his baptism of fire along the Shiri line

post-1672-0-92872900-1383428426.jpg

post-1672-0-42717600-1383428443.jpg

I'm simply blown away by the quality of your immense collection! Additionally, the effort you've put in to researching these servicemen. Mad props!

That mess dress of Barfoot's is gorgeous! How did you happen upon that?

Please post a pic of Col. McMurray's dress coat if you get a chance.

Thanks for sharing these treasures with us,

G

Stinger Gunner USMC

This is one of my favorite junior officer's uniforms in my collection. Edmund Van Pelt was from Deleware and joined the war in Europe late in the drive to Berlin with the 13th Armored Division. Van Pelt served as a Forward Observer in the 497th Armored Field Artillery. What makes this one special, in my opinion, is that only 102 Bronze Stars were awarded to members of the 13th Armored Division.

post-1672-0-29608500-1383428550.jpg

post-1672-0-64282300-1383428567.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

The shoulders carry Serling, pinback Armor replacement Center DUI, and the 497th AFA BOS are snowflake backed. Its just a great uniform that has never had anything added or removed.

post-1672-0-43294200-1383428899.jpg

post-1672-0-45787500-1383428914.jpg

Raidercollector

Love that Raider uniform, awesome to have. Marine uniforms are getting hard to come by. You have some nice ones that are researched. I love your collection. the history makes it.

Nick

Stinger Gunner USMC

That mess dress of Barfoot's is gorgeous! How did you happen upon that?

Please post a pic of Col. McMurray's dress coat if you get a chance.

G

Thanks, Buddy! Barfoots Mess Dress and dress greens came up on eBay about 2 months ago. Surprisingly, even though it was adversided as a MoH receipent's uniform, I was the only bidder on the Mess Dress. I know its going to be expensive/impossible to fully restore as he would have worn it though!

As for McMurray's uniform, here you go!

Clarence McCain McMurray was a graduate of the Citadel in the Class of 1909, graduating 4th in his class. He spent several years in his early career in the Philippine Islands before the start of WWI. In the first war, McMurray was a Captain and then Major in the 7th Infantry of the 3rd Division, fighting at the Belleau Wood. McMurray once again returned to the tropical climate for a tour as Commanding Officer, 33rd Infantry in Panama from 1939-41. During WWII, due to age and disability, Colonel McMurray served as a professor at the Citadel and then as the Commandant of Cadets at that prestigious institution. He retired from service in February, 1946.

post-1672-0-10712400-1383430876.jpg

post-1672-0-05871500-1383430892.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

Nice 13th AD uniform. Those numbered cannons are great. Was there ever any sign of a patch on the left hand shoulder?

There was an Armored Triangle on the left shoulder at one time; I suspect he moved his 13th AD triangle to the right shoulder when he went back to the Armored Center after the end of hostilities?

Thanks, Buddy! Barfoots Mess Dress and dress greens came up on eBay about 2 months ago. Surprisingly, even though it was adversided as a MoH receipent's uniform, I was the only bidder on the Mess Dress. I know its going to be expensive/impossible to fully restore as he would have worn it though!

As for McMurray's uniform, here you go!

Clarence McCain McMurray was a graduate of the Citadel in the Class of 1909, graduating 4th in his class. He spent several years in his early career in the Philippine Islands before the start of WWI. In the first war, McMurray was a Captain and then Major in the 7th Infantry of the 3rd Division, fighting at the Belleau Wood. McMurray once again returned to the tropical climate for a tour as Commanding Officer, 33rd Infantry in Panama from 1939-41. During WWII, due to age and disability, Colonel McMurray served as a professor at the Citadel and then as the Commandant of Cadets at that prestigious institution. He retired from service in February, 1946.

Man, oh man! That looks great! Sure wish I could've afforded to get that one to go with his blues, but I'm glad it is in your care. Thanks for posting it.

G

Stinger Gunner USMC

Man, oh man! That looks great! Sure wish I could've afforded to get that one to go with his blues, but I'm glad it is in your care. Thanks for posting it.

G

Thanks, I was hoping to wait to post until I got all the bells and whistles for it, but alas, I don't thnk I'm going to come across the Distinguished Rifleman badge, or the Excellence in Competition bages any time soon!

I took your advice and visited the Citadel museum while I was in Charleston in July. It was a very nice trip. I went over to the Hotel to see the bones of what is left of the old Citadel as well. I've added it to my short list of schools I'll allow my boys to attend. My wife and I absolutely loved Charleston!

Wow! Still hurting for a 1st and 2nd MarDiv.

Unfortunate that you couldn't keep the family together.

These are incredible items. For me I think people might believe members are just commenting on your older posts not realizing that you are posting new items.

Thanks again!

LF

Stinger Gunner USMC

Uplandmod, I don't have too many 1st Mar Div uniforms. I sure wish I had more. Since I was stationed in Okinawa I love studying the campaign, so anything from units that served there is on my wish list!

Keep checking back frequently, i'm just scratching the surface. I have barely started on my Iwo veteran uniforms!!!