The James Paris Collection

Stinger Gunner USMC

Stinger Gunner USMC

Lieutenant Robert P. Winterer hailed from St. Paul, MN and received his commission in March, 1943. As a 2LT, Winterer served with K/3/24before being transfered to 5th Amphibious Corps where he joined VAC Military Police Company with Corps Headquarters in November, 1943. Winterer landed on Iwo Jima on D+4 (Feb. 23). The truly wonderful thing about this uniform is the documentation that I have come with it. When I purchased this jacket on the forum it was void of buttons and insignia, all of which I have restored. Howerver it did come with copies of his service diary which gives detailed information regarding his service. Doing research I came across an inventory for a museum which has possesion of his wartime letters (hundreds of them by their account) I wrote the museum and they were kind enough to provide me free copies of the leters that dated during the Iwo campaign. I will share the first letter to his wife after landing.

"My Dear Majory,

I'm sitting in front of my foxhole in the glaring sun and thick dust, and very happy to be writing to you.

Been ashoure for nearly a week on Iwo Jima now -- Water only for drinking. Dirty? Wow!! No SHave, no wash. Eating rations steady, but they aren't heated.

My God, what a battle!! This is worse than Tarawa -- no doubt about it. I wish you could see the wreckage -- Japanese and ours too.

There must be 10,000 Marines here. No barracks or tents. We're all in holes in the ground -- deep!!

Our MP's got 5 Japs the first day ashore, but tye are all cleaned out now.

I'm Thinking of you always Marge, and have your pictures with me."

The Sam Browne is not original to this uniform, just used for display but I wanted to take the opportunity to show a close up of the hardware which is most associated with USMC Sam Brownes, as I know it has been the topic of numerous discussions on the forum over the years

post-1672-0-28406800-1374809448.jpg

post-1672-0-24471200-1374809483.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

Close up of insignia. I am unsure what Winterer's actual ladder bars were on his qual badge, but since the photo I have shows three, I thought that this one matched quite nicely until further research reveals his actual qualifications

post-1672-0-54254200-1374810513.jpg

post-1672-0-56315100-1374810529.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

Excellent Iwo Uniforms!

you and I have very similar collecting interests. I promise the Iwo uniforms will get better!

Oh please don't! I don't need to be jealous of any other Iwo uniforms here on the forum! Lol

Seriously, wonderful top collection, the letter grouping of the Iwo vet is priceless. I'm looking forward to your other coats in your collection. Wonderful research as well, like you I enjoy bringing life back to these coats and knowing more about the Vets that wore them.

Leonardo

Its good to hear from you Jon. Sorry I've been away from the forum. Haven't slowed down collecting any though! I stopped posting my collection a couple years ago mainly because I got tired of seeing 10 page discussions on a disposable piece of field gear with no history, while historically important artifacts where the owner takes the time to tell the history of the veteran and/or object are largely ignored. We'll see how it goes...

Great collection you have! I totally agree on what you said. It seems like really great pieces (historic or downright interesting) get backlogged behind simple utility uniforms or pieces of field gear.-Ben.

• 2 weeks later...
Stinger Gunner USMC

Tech 5 Percy L. Schumacher was an assualt driver with an Armored Infantry Battalion of the 6th Armored Division from the July, 1944 Breakout in Normandy through the end of the war, fighting in 5 campaigns in Europe, including the Battle of the Bulge. He served in early occupation duty and came home with Item Co, 36th Armored Infantry of the 3rd AD. His small grouping includes some photographs, a half dozen letters from his wife all dated August, 1945 and his shot card, pay book and HQ 6th Armored Division Bronze Star Citation for Heroic Action as well as a quite rare letter from when Ike relinquished command of SHAEF.

post-1672-0-47203000-1375755303.jpg

post-1672-0-92477400-1375755316.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

The Bronze Star citation is one of the more descriptive that I have seen for a WWII enlistedman's end of tour award. I espically like that it is specifically for Heroic action rather than a Meritorious award.

post-1672-0-34079900-1375757560.jpg

post-1672-0-11523700-1375757570.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

This is the uniform of Lt Robert E. Keeton. Keeton was a Harvard Graduate and is well known in the legal community. He was appointed to the District Court of Mass. by President Carter.
During WWII, Keeton was a Communications Officer and served a tour as the Assistant Flag Secretary on the staff of the Commander, Naval Air Forces, U.S. Pacific Fleet. This duty brought him aboard the U.S.S. Liscome Bay. Keeton was one of 272 survivors when she was sunk off Tarawa by a Japanese Submarine on November 24, 1943. Keeton woke up floating on a piece of debris in the moddle of the Pacific. He had been helped onto this debris by another brave sailor who, Keeton presumed later lost his life during the many hours at sea. Keeton had received burns and shrapnel wounds. After recovering he was posted on the staff of the Commander in Chief, U.S. Pacific Fleet (Adm. Chester Nimitz) and served as his Assistant Flag Secretary. For services to Nimitz's staff, Keeton was awarded the Bronze Star Medal.

His Bronze Star Citation:
"For meritorious service in connection with operations against the enemy while serving on the Staff of the Commander in Chief, United States Pacific Fleet and Pacific Ocean Areas as Assistant Flag Secretary from May 1944 to September 1945. During this period the volume of official business conducted through correspondence more than tripled, and it was through his initiative, foresight and untring efforts that means were developed to meet the changing situation, and enable the Secretarial Section to maintain a high standard of administrative efficiency. Lieutenant Keeton constantly gave the highest degree of attention to the manifold details inherent in correlating the functions of the secretarial sections at the Advance Headquarters and Pearl Harbor Headquarters. He was often called upon to discharge the responsibilities of the Flag Secretary during that officer's absence and this he did in an outstanding manner. His meritorious service and devotion to duty were at all times keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service."

post-1672-0-57013900-1375757795.jpg

post-1672-0-72506600-1375757805.jpg

• 2 months later...
Stinger Gunner USMC

1st Lt Edward C. Potter served as a Marine Aviator with VMB 612 at Cherry Point in 1943 and early, 1944. Tragically, just weeks before his unit was scheduled to deploy to the Pacific in September, 1944 Lt. Potter was killed in a car accident near Onslow Beach

post-1672-0-16674200-1383103826.jpg

post-1672-0-86444600-1383103876.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

My collection is not limited to the like of Navy blue and Marine Green. Here is Medal of Honor receipent Col. Van T. Barfoot's Mess Dress uniform.

As a Technical Sergeant, Van Barfoot received the Medal of Honor while serving in Italy with the 45th Division. He later served during Korea and as the Cheif of Aviation in Vietnam in the early 1970s

post-1672-0-77785400-1383104508.jpg

post-1672-0-90189500-1383104521.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

For anyone who may doubt the authenticity, here are the tags. And yes his last name was mis spelled by the tailor!

post-1672-0-38121100-1383104607.jpg

post-1672-0-08394700-1383104615.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

Corporal Vernon Daub Atkins was a young Marine from Kernersville, NC. Atkins joined the Corps in September, 1942 and qualified a Marksman before joining A Co. 3rd Raider Battalion. His name is confirmed on the Raider roster and his actions with the Raiders is further documented in his service file from the National Archives. Cpl Atkins served in combat with 3rd Raiders at Bougainville and was transfered to 3/4 when they werer disbanded and fought on Guam with HQ/3/4 serving in the paymaster department. He returned to the states following the Guam Campaign and remained on the east coast for the remainder of the war.

post-1672-0-08543400-1383180637.jpg

post-1672-0-04558700-1383181581.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

This uniform was found by me in a rag mill last summer. Leonard Perez, Jr. was from St Louis, Mo and enlisted in the Marines in October, 1942. He served in Radio Company, Signal BN, MCB San Diego until being selected for Officer's Candidates Course. This uniform dates from this period. Perez was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant and joined B Company, 1st Battalion, 29th Marines before the invasion of Okinawa and fought on Okinawa from April 1st until a rainy May 29th, 1945 when Perez was killed while 1/29 was attacking the thick stone rubble houses on Naha's eastern outskirts in the Kokuba hills.

post-1672-0-13891500-1383182872.jpg

post-1672-0-48450800-1383182885.jpg