AMERICAN BALLOON CORPS VETERANS

frederick

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION

AMERICAN BALLOON CORPS VETERANS

Found this society in the Encyclopedia of Associations. In the early 1970s, this book was like a New York telephone directory--about three inches thick. It contained Business, Scientific, Manufacturing, Technical, Veteran, Trade, etc. groups. A recent edition of this Encyclopedia is now five books and each volume is two to three inches thick. America has a lot of organizations.

In those days, one had to write a letter to the organization and wait a week for an answer. I wanted to know the history of the group and whether they had insignia. More importantly, would they sell their insignia to an outsider? Of the many groups contacted then, some sent pamphlets, brochures, etc. about the group in general terms. Few groups had membership badges or pins and fewer groups were willing to sell beyond the membership. The Balloon Corps Veterans was one of two exceptions. Their Historian sent a nice letter explaining the origin of the group (first illustration). It seemed natural to reprint the letter allowing the Historian to tell you the origin in his own words. Only the addresses of the National Officers has been deleted from the letter because the letter is thirty-five years old and I assume these gentlemen are no longer with us. Do not know the meaning of the number in parenthesis at end of each Nat'l Officer's name. Could be years of membership or number of the local chapter. Local groups were known as Balloon Beds and the society had a quarterly newsletter titled Haul Down & Ease Off.

They had a lapel pin ($1.75), a cloth wing for the official beret (no color or style specified) for $.75, and a decal for the car ($.50). I ordered one of each. The second illustration shows all three items. The decal is at the top. The cloth wing is in the middle showing front side and back side for the cloth and patch collectors. The lapel pin is at the bottom with a U.S. dime for size comparison--it is a very small pin. Except for the decal, the cloth wing and lapel pin could be passed over unnoticed at any military/antique show because of its lack of any marks identifying it as a veteran society item. I have on rare occasions seen the patch for sale, but not at the old price.

post-1633-1207706935.jpg

Very nice and unusual. I think you are right, these could easily be passed by. I wonder if the number following the officer's name is the Baloon Company that he was assigned to during the war. Thanks for posting these. Be nice to have a complete directory!

Very nice and unusual. I think you are right, these could easily be passed by. I wonder if the number following the officer's name is the Baloon Company that he was assigned to during the war. Thanks for posting these. Be nice to have a complete directory!

I would have to say that this is the type of Veterans' Organization that would be lost to obscurity if it weren't for the efforts of men like you, frederick. Thank you for sharing this information with us. I had never thought that the few men who worked with observation balloons would have the resources to band together after the war. You would think that by now, I would know better. :)

Kevin

• 6 years later...

My grandfather, Clarence Pollard, was active in the Balloon Corp Veterans, and was their national commander for a year in the 1950's. In WW 1 he was stationed in Bed 97 in San Antonio, TX. A few weeks before he died he attended their next to last annual gathering in Philly in 1980. My understanding is that they disbanded the next year and gave a bottle of 1918 bourbon to the oldest surviving attendee who was around 100 at the time.

I never heard him mention veterans of any of the other wars (Spanish-American or WW 2) being involved in the organization, but then I was just a teen-ager when he passed away.

Very good information dop4. It seems that many 19th century fraternal groups formed a tontine at one time with a bottle of liquor as the gift to the last surviving member. It is neat that these men did the same when they formed the Balloon Corps Veteran Association. Do you recall if your father, and the others, had a uniform or cap for the organization?

• 8 years later...
ocsfollowme

For 5 years I have been trying to figure out this patch, and the answer was here, on the forum! My link to what I have found.