I have a question for the photography buffs!

I use a good quality digital SLR camera...a Panasonic Lumix. It has multiple settings. Because I use it mostly to prepare photos for the forum it's set by default to 640 x 480 which is the recommended size for uploading images onto the internet. The images it takes are crystal clear with a high pixel rating. However, when uploaded onto my laptop the picture files are quite large...too large for the forum, even after cropping, so I have no option but to let the software automatically downsize them. This has the unfortunate side effect of downgrading the picture quality, making the images less well defined and more "pixel-ated" which p*****s me off big time! Is there anything I can do to avoid this? Thanks!

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

However, when uploaded onto my laptop the picture files are quite large...too large for the forum, even after cropping, so I have no option but to let the software automatically downsize them. This has the unfortunate side effect of downgrading the picture quality, making the images less well defined and more "pixel-ated" which p*****s me off big time! Is there anything I can do to avoid this? Thanks!

Ian,

What process are you using to do this? Some of the better programs allow you to adjust the compression rate and thereby balance the size with a better image quality. It sounds as if your program is compressing them too much.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

It's the Panasonic software as supplied with the camera.

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Down load a modern picture software program.

You mean a "freebie"? Can you recommend one?

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Ian, there are a few things to remember here:

1. 640x480 is the size of the image but whats the DPI? I have a a D9 and I can set the quality to regular fine super fine etc. That sets the DPI has a huge effect on the file size. Web images should be 72dpi. When I post pics up they are anywhere between 1000px to 1200px at its larges side.

2. The way I do it is take the highest quality photos, and bring them into photoshop. Go into the image set it to 72dpi and size the largest side (tall or wide) around 1000px.Then save for web. When you do that on export it will tell you what the end result file size will be.

I'm a graphic designer so I have all the professional programs like photoshop. Not sure if theres anything free to use. There used to be photoshop elements but I think thats gone now.

Jamie, thank you for that, but assume I know nothing of this techno-speak! :wacko:

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif