Kelmarsh History Live weekend - Combined nursing display

loobylou

Member_2114

Hi Lloydy,

we're combining forces with the Allied Forces Army Nurses again to portray the 95th evac hospital at Salerno...... recieving, operating room and nurses quarters...shaping up to be a good one ;)

x

Sounds like I could include it in an article for " Strictly GI", we don't just feature articles specific to what we do, but what we do with other like minded people! We'll be at Victory show, pop over to our CP for some D Rations and Calvados!!

hbtcoveralls

In the US, the "American Military Medical Impressions" group in Maryland is tops. http://www.ww2medicine.org./

Their website doesn't do them justice, but if you've seen them at Frederick Airshow or WWII weekend in Reading you'll know what I mean. Staffed mainly with real doctors and nurses the group has an extensive display which shows triage Pre-op the lab the operating theater with surgery ongoing then the post-op ward. I remember they also did and X-ray display and a dentist office. All in all a very well realized display that would be hard to surpass.

Tom Bowers

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

well we are just about recovering from the Victory Show here in the UK. This time RR Medical dept and Allied Forces Army Nurses combined to portray the 95th Evacuation Hospital at Salerno in '43. We had a total of 14 nurses, 2 medics and a Surgeon and had Receiving/triage, Operating Room (complete with a dummy having a very bloody stomach operation that nearly caused a member of the public to faint! oops), Ward tent, nursing quarters and supplies tents.

It was a fantastic success after weeks of planning and effort from all involved. We are lucky enough to have 2 real nurses in the group and a Paramedic, so our medical knowledge is growing with each training weekend we have. 4 "real life" surgeons came through the display and were astounded, one even taught Shortcake (one of our girls) how to suture correctly, she was so good that the next surgeon who visited thought she was really a nurse!

Huge thanks need to go to our very own Doc, he put so much effort into getting the OR right. The attention to detail overall was phenomenal. I shall post some photos up as soon as I get some time.

All in all, another fantastic event was had by all, with huge amounts of public interaction and praise for the dedication of all involved.

kind regards

lisa

Huge thanks need to go to our very own Doc, he put so much effort into getting the OR right. The attention to detail overall was phenomenal. I shall post some photos up as soon as I get some time.

All in all, another fantastic event was had by all, with huge amounts of public interaction and praise for the dedication of all involved.

kind regards

lisa

Lisa,

It sounds like a great weekend. I really look forward to the photos.

...Kat

Hi Kat, we had several professional photographers taking photos, as soon as I can get hold of some really detailed ones i will post up :D

thanks

Lisa

x

Just to echo what Lisa has said a fantastic weekend and the best display our group has ever done. In nearly 10 years of Re Enacting I've never been so proud. (or as nervous portraying a surgeon with an actual surgeon watching me!! :) )

The OR would have been nothing though without the rest of the display. My thanks to Lisa it wouldn't have come together without her!

I too would love to see some pictures it was such a busy weekend I never got the chance to take any photos!

Doc. (Tom)