My Para Helmet?

Welshman

Hi

Here are are photos of my Para helmet?, as it is now. I should have said Shell :blush:

Welshman

post-123228-0-29286900-1374581528.jpg

post-123228-0-33108400-1374581554.jpg

It's been re-painted, re-corked and "D" loops have been added. If it was an original it would cost you a four-figure sum! It's probably been done for a re-enactor or as a display piece. To complete it you'll need a set of repro airborne chinstraps which are available from Welsh outfit "Soldier of Fortune"

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/us-m1c-para-chinstrap-product,430

I think this is the Korean War shell that he made into this. Looks good for a reenactors helmet. Just sand down some of the corking and age it a little.

It's been re-painted, re-corked and "D" loops have been added. If it was an original it would cost you a four-figure sum! It's probably been done for a re-enactor or as a display piece. To complete it you'll need a set of repro airborne chinstraps which are available from Welsh outfit "Soldier of Fortune"

Ian,

I think he's the one who tried to make it.

Hi Sabrejet

The airborne chinstraps came with it, I took them off, not to get any paint on them, yes the D bales were added, instead of the swings.

The paint I bought, £15.00, done two helmets with it, and I think I can do another one?, the cork £2.50, and I got enough to do another , I'd say five helmets, no I'm not buying any more :rolleyes: ,

Welshman

Ahh...so you did the refurb yourself? I thought you bought it that way. Very difficult to get the corking to look right...ie mixed in with the paint rather than clinging to its surface (I know...I tried it myself once just for the hell of it!)

Ruined a perfectly good helmet.

Hi jkash23686

I don't think I've ruined it, just added to its life, don't forget, I'm new to all this, to me it was another cheapy, I thought some one would say it was a 60s, Belgium, or other?. Should have taken photos, before I had a go at it.

Welshman

We're the straps original or repro?

Hi texasbucfan

Most likely they are, the helmet out in the garden at this moment, was going to leave it out for a couple of nights, to get rid of the shine, then sew the straps back on. When I do, I will post photos.

Welshman

Ahh...so you did the refurb yourself? I thought you bought it that way. Very difficult to get the corking to look right...ie mixed in with the paint rather than clinging to its surface (I know...I tried it myself once just for the hell of it!)

Done two now, the first one, I was a bit tight with the cork, didn't know how much to use.

If I were you I'd invest in a helmet net. Airborne troops wore them extensively and then you wouldn't have to worry about the paint finish either.

If I were you I'd invest in a helmet net. Airborne troops wore them extensively and then you wouldn't have to worry about the paint finish either.

Hi Sabrejet

Thank you for your help, what would be the correct net, for the 101st Airborne, as I've painted it with Ace of Spades, with little square at bottom, sorry guys, I know this was in my other post. To do them, I done a searched on ace of clubs, found a playing card with it on, put it into my word, got rid of what I did not want, by using the square and circle, to take out the card, then I just had the ace of spades, which I re-sized to 200, cut it out. Then I thought, I would make a N.C.O so I used masking tape to do the sign, its still out the garden, hope the blackbirds don't use it as target practise :blush: .

Welshman

Thank you for your link, one of the nets in it, looks just like the one I have, which came with a British "Turtle Helmet", the other two nets I have, one half of its missing, and I was going to throw away, but stuck it on the other helmet that I'm still working on, the other one has a bit of damage.

I asked, because, I read somewhere, the the Para net, had large gaps, in the netting.

Thank you for your link, one of the nets in it, looks just like the I have, which came with a British "Turtle Helmet", the other two nets I have, one half of its missing, and I was going to throw away, but stuck it on the other helmet that I'm still working on, the other one has a bit of damage.

I asked, because, I read somewhere, the the Para net, had large gaps, in the netting.

Any Brit net will do. There was no specific Airborne net...though there was one issued which had 2" mesh squares and was known as a "Dennison net"...I think there's one in the thread I quoted. Your "turtle shell" net should stretch fine over the M1 shell. The liner will hold it in place.