WWII USCG flashlight?

agate hunter

agate hunter

Hey guys, just picked up a flashlight like this one. Its marked USCG, but its USCG APP., which is approved I believe. So not sure if CG would have necessarily used it. Let me know any info on it. Thanks.

post-10495-0-54506800-1374561498.jpg

More pics: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TUFFITE-STEWART-BROWNE-F-81X-USCG-US-COAST-GUARD-FLASH-LIGHT-/110912017680

RustyCanteen

I believe that is an attempt at a sparkless flashlight (to be safer in areas containing a combustible atmosphere which is why it is approved by the Bureau of Mines, they were used there too), introduced in about 1938 as I recall (I used to collect a few flashlights :) ). I have seen them marked U.S.N. & U.S.M.C. in large letters on the handles, the U.S.M.C. are normally advertised as Marine Corps issue, but I am fairly certain it was actually a purchase by the U.S. Maritime Commission.

I would think the USCG used them since the Navy did, and the Maritime Commission as well. Whether your flashlight could have doubled for USCG issue I do not know, since it is only approved for use by the USCG and the Bureau of Mines. I do not recall ever seeing one with a large U.S.C.G. on the handle such the the two "issue" flashlights mentioned above, only the approved ones.