Jeep bonanza! For all you "Jeepsters" out there!

Sabrejet

my thanks as well, ian----i very much enjoyed seeing all the jeeps, one had a set of canvas doors and side curtains, which i don't think i've seen before. was that a custom job, or simply something very rare?

Thank you...glad you enjoyed! The canvas side-screens are an accessory but did exist during WW2. On the show site were several dealerships which specialized in Jeep parts...both original and modern/reproduction....it's big business! In fact, you could virtually buy a Jeep in kit form! Some specialize in Jeep canvas accessories, made to order...everything from seat covers, tilts, and windshield covers to side screens!

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Thanks, Ian. Great pics1 Bob

Thank you Bob! ;)

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

A Land Rover Defender alongside a WW2 Jeep. The very first Land Rover built in 1948 was heavily influenced by the WW2 Jeep. Basically, no Jeep = no Land Rover!

post-8022-0-05424800-1374604471.jpg

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Evolution.

post-8022-0-77146300-1374647593.jpg

post-8022-0-74590900-1374647819.jpg

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Restoration project for someone?! :D

post-8022-0-93331800-1374771175.jpg

post-8022-0-22681800-1374771178.jpg

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

"Son of Jeep"....well, sort of! ;)

post-8022-0-18957200-1374773203.jpg

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

A twosome.

post-8022-0-73441300-1374773321.jpg

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

389th Bomb Group.

post-8022-0-39986800-1374773614.jpg

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Prototype Land Rover 1947. Note the central steering column. These were initially developed as an off-road vehicle for farmers.

post-8022-0-95833600-1374774086.jpg

post-8022-0-66653300-1374774155.jpg

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

The Austin Champ was a Jeep-inspired derivative designed for the British Army in the 50s. It was powered by a big Rolls-Royce engine. Although an effective off-road vehicle, it was really over-engineered and very expensive to procure. The advent of the much simpler Land Rover which could easily fulfill the Champ's intended role hastened its demise.

post-8022-0-73816200-1374774622.jpg

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Cont'd...

post-8022-0-16534800-1374774649.jpg

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

littlebuddy

Ian i will have to get you a pic of dear old Dad driving a Champ , i know my mum has one as i was looking at it at the weekend !!

LB

WANTED : RAF 1940 PATT FLYING BOOTS

WANTED : DINGHY TYPE K ,TYPE A

" ALWAYS WANTING USAAF ITEMS IN THEIR ORIGINAL PACKAGING "

"WOULD ALSO LIKE 487th FS AND 515TH BS RELATED ITEMS "

"Illegitmi non carborundum"

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Well that's a co-incidence Carl! Great...look forward to it...thanks! ;)

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Captured Jeep. Just add a Nazi flag!

post-8022-0-96021500-1374926613.jpg

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Free French commandos in their twin-Vickers armed airborne Jeep. The camo'd captured German jerrycan is a nice touch!

post-8022-0-79292200-1374927040.jpg

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Jeep fitted with improvised wire-cutter to prevent decapitation! :o

post-8022-0-84049500-1374951835.jpg

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Early Willys MA.

post-8022-0-02539300-1374952888.jpg

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

• 3 weeks later...
reddevil1311

We had our 42 Willys there which has a folding litter/stretcher rack on the back. Unfortunately, it spent the week in the shadows as a workhorse and was not seen by many people (we were working on the show so did not get to take it in to the arena for the jeep record attempt.

The 1/3 scale jeep bodies are made by a friend of mine here in Sweden. I am planning on getting one for when my boy is old enough :D

Ashley

"I am a white male aged 18 to 45, everyone listens to me no matter how dumb my suggestions are"

www.reenactor.se - Front Historiska Föreningen

Love those early Jeeps.

No later models though? M38, M38A1?

The paint stripping of M1 helmets, particularly protestor helmets, is destruction of history by the very men who claim to protect it.
Always looking for gear and items linked to the following: Joe S. Tamura US Army; Ken Tamura 442nd RCT; Capt. Emerson US Army Medical Corps, Norman Albert Wells Fifth Infantry Division

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

reddevil1311

Lots and lots, but this record attempt was just for MA, MB, GP, GPW, M201 etc (the WWII type jeep)

A

"I am a white male aged 18 to 45, everyone listens to me no matter how dumb my suggestions are"

www.reenactor.se - Front Historiska Föreningen

• 4 weeks later...

Ian , as promised the photo littlebuddys dad in an Austin Champ !!!

post-106122-0-48852300-1379270651.jpg

Great pic Carl...with the prerequisite leg out the side, GI style! :D Thanks for adding it!

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Great pic Carl...with the prerequisite leg out the side, GI style! :D Thanks for adding it!

No problem , i think he would be about 19 in that pic so it must have been in Germany i think ?? about 1959 ish ???? if i remember correctly ??? :wacko: