Jeep bonanza! For all you "Jeepsters" out there!

Sabrejet

For me, a jeep is a jeep, is a jeep, but these come with all kinds of accessories. Tools, tops, trailers and a couple that look like weekend beach rides.

my thanks as well, ian----i very much enjoyed seeing all the jeeps, one had a set of canvas doors and side curtains, which i don't think i've seen before. was that a custom job, or simply something very rare?

Thank you...glad you enjoyed! The canvas side-screens are an accessory but did exist during WW2. On the show site were several dealerships which specialized in Jeep parts...both original and modern/reproduction....it's big business! In fact, you could virtually buy a Jeep in kit form! Some specialize in Jeep canvas accessories, made to order...everything from seat covers, tilts, and windshield covers to side screens!

A Land Rover Defender alongside a WW2 Jeep. The very first Land Rover built in 1948 was heavily influenced by the WW2 Jeep. Basically, no Jeep = no Land Rover!

post-8022-0-05424800-1374604471.jpg

Prototype Land Rover 1947. Note the central steering column. These were initially developed as an off-road vehicle for farmers.

post-8022-0-95833600-1374774086.jpg

post-8022-0-66653300-1374774155.jpg

The Austin Champ was a Jeep-inspired derivative designed for the British Army in the 50s. It was powered by a big Rolls-Royce engine. Although an effective off-road vehicle, it was really over-engineered and very expensive to procure. The advent of the much simpler Land Rover which could easily fulfill the Champ's intended role hastened its demise.

post-8022-0-73816200-1374774622.jpg

littlebuddy

Ian i will have to get you a pic of dear old Dad driving a Champ , i know my mum has one as i was looking at it at the weekend !!

LB

Free French commandos in their twin-Vickers armed airborne Jeep. The camo'd captured German jerrycan is a nice touch!

post-8022-0-79292200-1374927040.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
reddevil1311

We had our 42 Willys there which has a folding litter/stretcher rack on the back. Unfortunately, it spent the week in the shadows as a workhorse and was not seen by many people (we were working on the show so did not get to take it in to the arena for the jeep record attempt.

The 1/3 scale jeep bodies are made by a friend of mine here in Sweden. I am planning on getting one for when my boy is old enough :D

Ashley

reddevil1311

Lots and lots, but this record attempt was just for MA, MB, GP, GPW, M201 etc (the WWII type jeep)

A

• 4 weeks later...

Great pic Carl...with the prerequisite leg out the side, GI style! :D Thanks for adding it!

No problem , i think he would be about 19 in that pic so it must have been in Germany i think ?? about 1959 ish ???? if i remember correctly ??? :wacko: