USS West Virginia Pearl Harbor Grouping-Recovered Sword, Diary, Silver Set & More

warpath

USS West Virginia Officer's Pearl Harbor Grouping-Lt. J. C. "Barney' Oldfield's US Navy Sword Recovered from the sunken battleship, Pearl Harbor Diary, USS West Virginia presented Silver Coffee Set.

Lt. Oldfield served on the west Virginia and survived its sinking and subsequently remained to help with its salvage operation. Amazingly much was recovered from the ship to include his sword and boatswain's whistle. While serving post war in Japan he replaced his sword and sword belt rig with one purchased from the Japan Sword Company and it's one of the finest quality US Navy swords I've seen.

post-3653-0-41067900-1374541775.jpg

Very nice pieces, do you have a family connection? Just asking to learn about these items and how you received them.

• 5 weeks later...

post-3653-0-34642500-1377216741.jpgLt. Oldfield's Letters and Claims for December 7, 1941 Losses

Lt. Oldfield's Letter describing his actions and subsequent claims for December 7, 1941 Losses...This recovered sword is unique as far as I can tell. I am sure quite a few artifacts were in fact saved, but so far this resurrected sword is the only example I've seen.

While in Japan Oldfield replaced his sword and belt set with the Japan Sword Company rig shown in this thread. More photos to follow as time permits. Ed