WWII USMC blankets

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

These two blankets are from a WWII USMC group I just picked up yesterday. I thought they were interesting as one is unit stenciled to VMF-232 and the other still retains a hard to find readable tag.

Rob

post-168-0-88848000-1374516713.jpg

Rob-

For what it's worth, here's a picture of what the complete blanket tag looked like before any fraying.

If there is any trace of a "U.S.M.C." marking in the middle of your new blanket on one side, I would appreciate seeing same if it isn't too much trouble. I believe the blankets from this contract had ink stamped markings that were hollow block using VERY thin ink strokes that rapidly wore or faded away, leaving the impression that there were no markings. I have a picture of the marking on the blanket belonging to the tag pictured below, but it isn't good enough to tell whether the "U.S.M.C" marking is stitched or ink stamped. Thanks.

Respectfully,

Terry ("Bagman")

post-545-0-99896500-1374600171.jpg

Fixbayonets!

Hi Terry,

Thanks for posting a photo of the complete tag, what a great example!

I just took a long hard look at the blanket and there is no trace of any U.S.M.C. markings in the center. The markings must have completely faded away like you said.

Regards,

Rob