Where's The GOOD Stuff?

Wharfmaster

I posted most of what I have in my collection for several reasons. You never know what else can be discovered about the person from other collectors. Additional I welcome family members contacting me and in several instances I was happy to return the item to the family for what I paid for it.

Security is a concern so my best stuff is in the bank and I use a post office box when I purchase items. Only a few of my collector friends know where I live. I also have photographed my collection and insured it.

SEABEEBRIAN

Most of the advanced collectors of medals are members of OMSA. I think there are quite a few who aren't members here and they try to focus their support on its website. I do notice that collectors these days seem to be more secretive whereas in the past there used to be members directories but now there aren't

Ever since reading these posts, I decided upon taking down my personal info on here such as state I live in and age, and just like Wolfman I sleep next to same hollow pointed protection every night just in case.

OKAY.....I'm not one to be shy! From now on I'm going to post all of my vital information for the female members to use as they see fit!

I also sleep with a pointed object.

I believe there is a very limited number of people who can afford to collect rare medals. While I will never be able to afford such nice items as I see on here, I do appreciate them. Since I don't collect medals, I can't offer anything more than a "great medal" comment. Sometimes, I feel bad saying such a short comment when the medals are so nice. Rather than appear flippant, I don't say anything. It doesn't mean that I do not appreciate the effort it takes to research and post such wonderful groups. It just means that I do not have the knowledge to respond.

...Kat

And to follow up on my comment above, people on this forum have no way of knowing your whereabouts other then those whom you tell via PM or email. Think about that next time you buy or sell something?

If your collection is so valuable that a person wants to target you for a thrift, you are not going to stop them by not showing your collection here. There are easier ways to target you then through this forum.

Sleeping with a knife, or gun, or even a guard dog is not the answer. Just MHO

And to follow up on my comment above, people on this forum have no way of knowing your whereabouts other then those whom you tell via PM or email. Think about that next time you buy or sell something?

If your collection is so valuable that a person wants to target you for a thrift, you are not going to stop them by not showing your collection here. There are easier ways to target you then through this forum.

Actually the info can be traced I know this because I do skip tracing for a living. If a thief knows someone in the profession that has access to skip trace software they can track someone down with just a first name and city. I do collections for a living and believe me some of the people in my office are either shady or know shady people. Can never be too carfeful. But if you have no info you are totally fine, just keep DOB and city out, and no one will find squat

I don't post much anymore, since most of my posts don't seem to ever gather interest, much less any comments.A little odd, since someone else can post something similar, and everyone chimes in with praise. But of course, I don't go around begging for input like some on here (not a dig at the original poster). Anyway, it is what it is.

DAMN G, now you have'um commenting on your for sale threads! AND you say you're NOT LOVED!! :lol:

May not be an answer but it sure makes me sleep better also Digger is as much a guard dog as my cat he's way too friendly for that.

I believe there is a very limited number of people who can afford to collect rare medals. While I will never be able to afford such nice items as I see on here, I do appreciate them. Since I don't collect medals, I can't offer anything more than a "great medal" comment. Sometimes, I feel bad saying such a short comment when the medals are so nice. Rather than appear flippant, I don't say anything. It doesn't mean that I do not appreciate the effort it takes to research and post such wonderful groups. It just means that I do not have the knowledge to respond.

...Kat

My feelings exactly Kat!!

I post about 75% of my finds on here because I enjoy sharing them and getting feedback from other collectors. Majority of them are nothing Earth shattering, especially compared to the rest of the content posted on this forum. The items I don't post are usually duplicates or items I feel no one would be interested in seeing.

However, forums like this are really my only outlet. I know only a handful of people outside of the forum who really appreciate militaria and you can only show them the same item once whereas with places like this, new members arrive daily. Not to mention my wife is getting worse and worse at pretending she's excited about my finds :D Me - "Look honey, a split-wrap brooch Purple Heart named to a WWI vet!" My wife - "Wow, that's great, Eric"

As for lack of comments, I'm on this forum all throughout the day (my job is boring and I have two young kids, so lot's of free time during the day and no social life at night!). I read most of the threads started (even those pertaining to items outside of my collecting interest) and see a lot of great pieces of history being posted, most of which I can't add comment to; usually I just stare at these items while drool pools on my keyboard.

This is why I was one of the people all for adding a "Like" button on the forum. I feel adding a comment such as, "great find" or something similar doesn't do the item justice, so I don't do anything. I'd be more inclined to hit the "Like" button to show my appreciation. That's just my opinion, though.

As for security, I went the route of adding a moat filled with crocodiles and piranah in my front yard. I find it's much more effective...

aerialbridge

GOOD stuff covers a lot of ground. Could be a medal or group that’s all about the medal(s) because while rare, it’s unattributed. Could be a medal or group that’s about both the medal(s) and the man who was given it, because both the medal(s) and the story are GOOD. Or a medal or group that’s really about the man, because the medal(s) on their own are not that rare or unusual.

And when it’s about the man (or woman) rather than focusing on the medal, the story can be GOOD or good. When posting medal(s) to honor and perpetuate the memory of a serviceman, the GOOD shouldn’t be the enemy of the good. Meaning, no collector should feel intimidated from posting pictures of medals in their collection with the motive of honoring a serviceman simply because that person was not wounded or killed in combat.

Posting GOOD groups to bona fide heroes should not be inferential deterrents to posting ANY medal or group to a serviceman that honorably served and who has a name and service history (however scant) that the collector is willing to share. It’s the US Militaria Forum and until otherwise posted by the Administrators, the only “entrance exam” to have a medal posted—or the story of the man (woman) who originally owned it—is that they are a US serviceman or were awarded a US military medal.

As for those collectors that for security, privacy, fear – whatever-- while enjoying viewing and downloading images of the medals and research that others have posted decline to give back anything. You know who you are and if that’s you, it’s certainly your prerogative to just take. Keep on keepin’ on. But even if nobody ever absconds with the medals from your safe deposit box or castle keep, unless you know something the rest of us don’t, you’re not going to be taking them with you to the Big Forum in the Sky either.

So before that day, consider taking them out of the vault for an hour or two to photograph (if you haven’t already) and share your photos and research with others under your own unique and cool screen name that you get to pick if you join and participate on this Forum. You might even enjoy the adrenalin rush—not to mention the “oohs” and “aahs” of other members at the incredible risk you’re taking by posting pictures of your medals here. Live dangerously while daring great things!

Seriously, for those of us who do share our collections here, even if your posts don’t get any or many words of praise or thanks from other forum members, keep in mind there are many who don’t routinely type out and post “attaboys”, but it doesn’t mean they didn’t enjoy seeing your pictures and/or reading your post. If it’s a post about an attributed medal or group-- you’re honoring that serviceman even if nobody else chimes in.

Garth Thompson

Just a thought for all the folks concerned about theft and keep their collections locked up. While we think all our goodies are valuable beyond imagining. A B&E guy couldn't care less. He wants computers, electronics, guns, jewelry, cash or any other items that can be pawned for the most money. He doesn't want your militaria because he can't get rid of it quickly. I know because I was broken into many years ago. I had my collection openly displayed so I could enjoy it. That is why we collect isn't it. Not one thing was missing or even touched

If your collection is stolen it is a set up arranged probably by some one you know.

Just a thought.

• 4 weeks later...

For me, I think it has more to do with the fact that I just don't have time to take stuff out of my displays, photograph it, put it back, download it n the computer, post it and then find a killer title so that people will open it up and read it. The last one is the most important. If your title is: What do you think of this?, I won't even bother to open it, but if someone posts a title like: I am done collecting because today I found the end of the rainbow!, I will likely read it and comment.

Another reason I don't post much of my WWI stuff is because most collectors don't even know what the American Field Service or Norton-Harjes is. Thus, I spend time photographing, explaining and posting only to get one or two replies. As for my WWII helmets... I just get tired of the book smart collectors, who wouldn't know a legitimate helmet if it was given to them, telling me they think it's questionable. :dry: I'd rather take my years of experience and help newer collectors.

As for someone stealing my stuff, as Garth said, most burglars wouldn't give it a second look. Of course they may want to take notice of my two dogs. :o

I've been busy lately with other things in life but have still managed to pick up some "better" items. I haven't shown recent acquisitions due to time constraints and probably won't just due to the fact that most of these items aren't very interesting without names and I won't post anything with a name anymore.

Jim.

Sadly, you are not the only one that feels this way. I fear many members will not show their better named items due to: "When the family comes calling".

Regards,

W

Wharf,

This may surprise other members, but I have on big reason for posting medals groups. It is sad, and perhaps small on my part, but I post them for the joy of a "clique" of members who dislike me. I love watching them view the thread and NEVER leaving a comment. They seem to think that they are somehow hurting me by not paying respect to the men who earned the medals. HOW SAD!! These are the BIG BAD BOYS of collecting that many look up to! HA....:(

Believe it or not Robin... your not alone in that ship. It was much worse when I collected TR and posted on a certain German forum. The big boys don't have time, such is militaria, it's their loss...they have no idea how much cool they're missing out on. ^_^

Wharf,

This may surprise other members, but I have on big reason for posting medals groups. It is sad, and perhaps small on my part, but I post them for the joy of a "clique" of members who dislike me. I love watching them view the thread and NEVER leaving a comment. They seem to think that they are somehow hurting me by not paying respect to the men who earned the medals. HOW SAD!! These are the BIG BAD BOYS of collecting that many look up to! HA.... :(

Very succinctly put JS! ;)

Wharf,

This may surprise other members, but I have on big reason for posting medals groups. It is sad, and perhaps small on my part, but I post them for the joy of a "clique" of members who dislike me. I love watching them view the thread and NEVER leaving a comment. They seem to think that they are somehow hurting me by not paying respect to the men who earned the medals. HOW SAD!! These are the BIG BAD BOYS of collecting that many look up to! HA.... :(

..................................................................................................................

Wow JS. As opinionated as I am, I know I have "rubbed a few people the wrong way". However, I didn't know you had. I guess all of us old guys here have to stick together.

Feel free to keep posting!

Wharf

My dear friends and fellow Forum members,

I've debated about replying to this thread for some time. My comments are in no way meant to offend anyone.

I think the good stuff is all around us, it's all a matter of your perspective. I enjoy seeing posts from a simple variation of a common WW II discharge lapel device to R's gorgeous attributed USMC Civil War Medal... and then there are the groups... (OMG)... things you'd never see, even in many museums...right here in front of us, just a click away. I'm not saying this to come down on anyone or criticize what others would like to see posted here. I'm like a kid in candy shop, thrilled to see so much, but unfortunately not much free time (or years left) to take it all in. My main complaint is that I found the forum so late in life. I've made some incredible friends and learned some great history and priceless facts about my passion.

Yes, I've been annoyed with occurrences that pop up here like: "family" the "niece's-nephew's-bother's-sister's-cousin" who is obviously looking to make a buck off of a relative they probably never met or cared about. I can deal quite easily with them and make them go away forever. More difficult are the other collectors on here that think you owe them if you dared to unknowingly post a "prime" piece missing from their group (not all are like this, some are quite gracious and share what info and pics have, others are smug and true posterior evacuation muscles). Funny how they never seem to want to sell to you, but want you to sell to them, even if the piece is irreplaceable in your collection. All these things can certainly put one off posting "the good stuff".

But honestly, my problem is time. Time to research, time to scan, crop, adjust color, size to meet site limitations, and the time write everything up. I admire and thank those who post so much on a regular basis, I appreciate how much work goes into each post. You are all great!

My main fault is not commenting, and being more of a lurker than contributor. I should reply more often, but at the same time don't want to clutter posts with compliments rather than additional information. So many awesome things are posted here. What can most of us add to such threads? I'm just happy as a clam to see them. Please don't stop posting them.

And to those young or beginning collectors who just got a piece for which they are proud, regardless of their rarity, cost, or condition, please don't stop sharing your honest enthusiasm. The vicarious thrill is priceless.

The BEST part of this forum is the information, dedication, and support they give to those who truly care to preserve our veteran's history. The people, the posts, the Forum...the Good Stuff is all around us.

Enjoy!

My best wishes to you all,

Joe

Raidercollector

I agree with Robin and wharf. I post a lot of medal groups to, Mostly for learning and respect for the solder. And keeping his name alive.I love the research and the collecting aspect. And yes,hardly any response.Knowledge is power.There is over 100,000 members that come on here. Our History is being lost to the younger generation.We have to keep it alive. Just my thoughts.And Robin yes I,m old to

Nick

Garth Thompson

I think to a certain extent we all feel our postings to not get the attention they should...

Robert is right. It takes a lot of time to do a decent post and it is a little disappointing when there isn't the response we thought it should get but often there are quite a few more views than comments. Possibly we reached some new collectors who don't think they have anything to add but our post did put them on a collecting path or cleared up a misconception. So let's just put on our big boy pants and keep posting what we would like to share.

Garth