OIF Road sign/ Unit ID

MarDiv

This jem followed me home during tour #1 and was "borrowed" outside of An Nasaria during the initial nastyness.

One of the translators was kind enough to write down what is on the sign but that didnt make it home with me. If I remember correctly, it was something to do with the 11th Iraqi Division.

I would love to know what it says and if any of you magicians (written as a complement) on this forum know Arabic/Farsi it would be greatly appreciated!

It now hangs above book case #1 but, with luck, it will migrate to the man cave (that is when I get the green light from CINC House).

Enjoy!

post-66081-0-61068400-1374457117.jpg

With your permission, I can post this on another forum I frequent and very likely get a quick answer. Please let me know, and thank you for your service-nice eye for souvenirs, also!

Fender Rhodes

This jem followed me home during tour #1 and was "borrowed" outside of An Nasaria during the initial nastyness.

I was in Nasiriyah with 2nd Marines in '03. Who were you with?

p2tharizo - no problem with the re-post of the 1st photo. I would like to have a written translation so I can attach it to the back.

Fender - I was with the 15th MEU which moved into Nasaria shortly after TF Tarawa went north N/NE.

There were three "compounds" in this area, one of whcih was a HQ's that had two or three multi story building. Mostly office spaces that had been ransacked. I know a buddy came away with a nice wooden desk set (plaque and pen holders) from there.

One of the other compounds was used as an ASP which took the EOD bubbas weeks to clear. And then our CP location (until we moved into the university grounds) that was either a training facility or used as garrison housing.

This sign was hanging on a pole that was about 30m inside the entrance way along with a few others. Not sure who got those but this one was the better (IMO) of the bunch.

The sign is aluminum and there are several layers of paint underneath (some chipping is evident). When I wiped it down with a damp rag some of the red paint came off so only a dry cloth is used to dust it now.

For now it hangs in the house safe from the elements but I may need to investigate some type of clear coat to ensure the chipping/fading is abated (any thoughts on this?).

Fender Rhodes

A good friend of mine was with E/2/1.

I remember ripping with you guys when we came back from up north. We ended up in the compound of some medical or science school compound.

Never saw the sign while we were there but I'm glad it found a good home nonetheless.

S/F

FR

I still keep in contact with a few buddys that were with 2/1 (both retired now).

I also remember that "hospital" that you guys were in. Took some investigative type folks in there and to other locations. Some pretty horrible stories about that place being used by the regime as a torture chamber.

You still in Mother Green?

Fender Rhodes

Yeah, that place was something else. I saw those rooms plus the morgue.

We rolled up much of the Iraqi 23rd BDE leadership in that hospital.

I retired last year. It was fun while it lasted though...

Retired in 2007 myself....miss it and the people but, it's a young man's game

Work for the Army now.....interesting experience but lets me think I am still helping the warfighter in some small capacity.

Thanks Ian!

Once we got back State side and I pulled this out of where it was stashed I had many a Marine tell me they had wondered what happened to this sign as it seemed to have "disappeared" just before we pulled up and out of that location.....it was just to good to leave behind.