tomcatter

US Army vintage sterling jump wings

Hi Guys,

I would like to know your opinions about these jump wings.

They are hallmarked "1-E" (Emblem Supply?): I never seen before a set of jump wings with this hallmark: are they scarce?
Two-digit code means they are from mid-1950s to early 1960s: is it correct?

Thank you for looking!

m6pm.jpg

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

One digit/ one letter codes started late1953 and most came into being in 1954 and lasted until 1964-1965. To confuse matters a few two digit / one letter were also assigned during this time period. But they had the digits in front of the letter for example 12C. After 1965 the letter came first followed by the two digits such as V-21. In 1967 a N was added at the end of the code to designate approved for Navy so Vanguard for Navy would be V-21-N.

1E is for Emblem Supply Co.. Central Falls, RI

1E is an Emblem Supply hallmark. At least one source lists these as WWII vintage, although that may well be incorrect. These wings are not common these days as most of the older pinback sterling wings that are hallmarked seemed to be drying up. 1E marked parachute wings can be found in senior and master grades as well and those were made after WWII.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

WANTED- Sterling hallmarked US Army Parachutist Jump wings:       WANTED -Combat Infantryman Badges (CIB):

Bell Trading Post Master (with star in wreath)                                        F.W. Assmann Germany full size CIB marked 191

12C Coro Senior clutchback (with star).                                                   CREST CRAFT Sterling EIB & CIB

CrestCraft 14C Master w/bubble canopy CB.                                          Denmark’s Sterling 2nd Award D22

Emblem Supply 1E Senior pinback                                                            Wilbur Kiff Co Attleboro Ma. Sterling

GP General Products Master CB                                                                D&H Manufacturing, provenance RI

Military Post Supply M21/MPS-21 Senior CB                                          C.P. Company NYC 1P C. Polk New York Sterling

Robbins Senior pinback                                                                               Gemsco Sterling 3rd award

Robbins Attleboro Mass. Basic pinback                                                   Simon Sterling 3rd Award

Yes, mid 50s-mid 60s code, believe it or not a few company continued to make some of there badges in Pin Back, case in point, two items I have, one a AAA unit DI by Meyer, it's a double shield 9M, and a sterling Army Marksman Badge with a rather uncommon code of 7B (sterling Rifle Q-Bar is a 1K Krew), this one was IDed by another member as one for Bell Trading Post, in both cases the badges with the post 1954-pre 1965 codes are Pin Backs

Yes, mid 50s-mid 60s code, believe it or not a few company continued to make some of there badges in Pin Back, case in point, two items I have, one a AAA unit DI by Meyer, it's a double shield 9M, and a sterling Army Marksman Badge with a rather uncommon code of 7B (sterling Rifle Q-Bar is a 1K Krew), this one was IDed by another member as one for Bell Trading Post, in both cases the badges with the post 1954-pre 1965 codes are Pin Backs

I believe that 7B was a hallmark of Bell Trading Post as mentioned in another thread. I've never seen jump wings with 7B on them.

WANTED- Sterling hallmarked US Army Parachutist Jump wings:       WANTED -Combat Infantryman Badges (CIB):

Bell Trading Post Master (with star in wreath)                                        F.W. Assmann Germany full size CIB marked 191

12C Coro Senior clutchback (with star).                                                   CREST CRAFT Sterling EIB & CIB

CrestCraft 14C Master w/bubble canopy CB.                                          Denmark’s Sterling 2nd Award D22

Emblem Supply 1E Senior pinback                                                            Wilbur Kiff Co Attleboro Ma. Sterling

GP General Products Master CB                                                                D&H Manufacturing, provenance RI

Military Post Supply M21/MPS-21 Senior CB                                          C.P. Company NYC 1P C. Polk New York Sterling

Robbins Senior pinback                                                                               Gemsco Sterling 3rd award

Robbins Attleboro Mass. Basic pinback                                                   Simon Sterling 3rd Award

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone can tell me about these wings I just picked up of the web.

They are not marked as such but could they be sterling silver?

Thank you all in advance.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

55 minutes ago, Boy Howdy said:

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone can tell me about these wings I just picked up of the web.

They are not marked as such but could they be sterling silver?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

3G is the 1954-1965 hallmark code for Ira Green, one would though expect it to be STERLING in this time frame right.

The 3G hallmark is from Ira Green. It is an older marking that is no longer used. Ira Green is still in business.

STERLING

GI

JMS

Any info on these will be greatly appreciated....again.

Thanks!

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

1 hour ago, Boy Howdy said:

STERLING

GI

JMS

Any info on these will be greatly appreciated....again.

Thanks!

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

Odd looking right, has a Silver Wash?

Here's a list of known makers put together, with JMS mentioned by triplecanopy as  Joseph M. Shanholtz further down (Posts are no longer numbered in this new format)

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/72153-ww2-jump-wings-maker-rarity-ratings/

An early attempt at Stay-Bright? LOL

These are South Vietnamese made sand cast paratrooper wings using a JMS hallmarked US made paratrooper wing as a template.  They are not sterling silver per the eBay listing below.  They are made of some sort of brass copper alloy with a silver finish.   Copies of these types of wings flooded the collector's market in I think the 1980s to 1990s but this one looks real.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PARATROOPER-JUMP-WINGS-Marked-GI-JMS-Sterling-Silver-Vintage/174315126757?hash=item2895fdbfe5:g:gBsAAOSwZbde2syY

donation2008.gif

That makes sense.

Thank you for your response.

2 hours ago, Tonomachi said:

These are South Vietnamese made sand cast paratrooper wings using a JMS hallmarked US made paratrooper wing as a template.  They are not sterling silver per the eBay listing below.  They are made of some sort of brass copper alloy with a silver finish.   Copies of these types of wings flooded the collector's market in I think the 1980s to 1990s but this one looks real.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PARATROOPER-JUMP-WINGS-Marked-GI-JMS-Sterling-Silver-Vintage/174315126757?hash=item2895fdbfe5:g:gBsAAOSwZbde2syY

That's it, I thought it looked odd. There's a  RVN made CIB Sand Cast floating around where a Sugerman Hallmark can be ascertained.

I just picked these up in a small group of USSF items.

Does anyone know that makers mark?

What time period would these wings be from?

Suus 'non facilis sit Viridis.

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

Your wings were made by Williams & Anderson. The 1/20th Silver Filled government issue wings were made from the mid 1960's to the mid 1970's, so Vietnam era. There are other examples and more information in the hallmarks section of this forum.

3 hours ago, Boy Howdy said:

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

Damn if I can't remember the maker here, others will remember, I forgot, 😆 but as it's 1/20 Silver Filled will date from the lat-sh 60s like 1968 till the mid-sh 70s like 1975, after that the use of silver declines to a point were only the manufacturer's hallmark code is seen and insignia's of this type are made now with non precious alloys.

44 minutes ago, Boy Howdy said:

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

TRIPLECANOPY, PATCHES thank you very much!

Thank you very much. Very informative.

OK Gentlemen,

Another question:

Has anyone ever seen or heard or British made US jump wings made of plastic with metal post?

If they actually exist I may have just acquired a pair from the bay.