M151 MUTT I think I am going to buy it tomorrow...

HILLBILLY-06

HILLBILLY-06

I got my fuel guage to work today, kind of... I took it out to look at it and it was just hung at the top with a little rust. I soaked it in oil and worked the rod a bit gently, and it began to move. It still wont fall completely on its own when held straight up or down, but it will work the fuel guage. I will take it out again one day and oil it and work it back and forth a few more times, & I bet it will free up very nicely. It's almost there now, it just needs a slight touch to get it to move properly.

I am very happy about the guage working too, I was afraid it might have also been bad, but turns out it works fine.

Does anybody know how I should attempt to charge the batteries with a 12 volt charger? Do I need to unhook all the cables first, or is there a way I can do it, that wont mess up anything with it hooked up ready to go??

• 3 weeks later...
HILLBILLY-06

What type of transmission Fluid should I try to use in my MUTT? I tried to use the search on it here, but had no luck... I thought I remembered someone saying something somewhere, but I could not find it....

Also is there a vent on this tranny someplace? I couldn't find one yet just crawling under it... I don't know where to look.

I been wanting to take my shifter handle out and look at it, but I been too scared to mess with it, after reading other post's about things getting jammed up or something... The only reason I want to take it out is to see if that is the reason I have so much slop in something somewhere?? I just don't know anything about it at all on these ole Mutts...

What type of transmission Fluid should I try to use in my MUTT? I tried to use the search on it here, but had no luck... I thought I remembered someone saying something somewhere, but I could not find it....

Also is there a vent on this tranny someplace? I couldn't find one yet just crawling under it... I don't know where to look.

I been wanting to take my shifter handle out and look at it, but I been too scared to mess with it, after reading other post's about things getting jammed up or something... The only reason I want to take it out is to see if that is the reason I have so much slop in something somewhere?? I just don't know anything about it at all on these ole Mutts...

use either GL3 or GL4. DO NOT USE GL5, it's incorrect for M151's and will cause damage. when you want to fill the trans, take great care in locating the proper fill plug on the side of the transmission. if you take out the wrong plug, that's actually a transmission part, and you have a lot of work ahead of you. read the lube order and look at the illustration, and you'll be fine.the vent is on top, and before you take the shifter arm out, make sure the trans is in neutral. filling the transmission also fills the transfer case, by the way.

• 2 months later...

I been mostly on G838 and G503 lately, and I remembered having originally posted here, so I thought I would update the post a little. I recently fixed that big cut out hole in the pic that you see on the passenger side. I have pics, a few anyway, and will try to get them in here for the update. That big hole is no longer there, so it looks better now. I still got plenty more to go around, but this area is starting to look great now. The pics didn't come out in order like I thought, I goofed a little there, but you can see the work that I did and the hole is "gone" thank goodness. Now on to the rest of it, & I will try to update more later as I go with the project.

post-5589-0-02876100-1409623528.jpg

post-5589-0-52583900-1409623540.jpg

post-5589-0-67054700-1409623553.jpg

post-5589-0-63911000-1409623570.jpg

post-89663-0-00032400-1382030107.jpg

I still got lots of work to do on it, and I don't have the paint or anything yet, just primer for now. I hope ya'll like how it turned out as much as I did.

Came Home from town today with three complete Mounted Cooper Cross Country Tires that have good tread and no dry rot anywhere.

There are a few small rust spots on the rims, but nothing that won't clean right up. I paid $60.00 each for them, and could only have gotten a complete set of Five if my wallet wasn't deflated and empty. I will try to get a few more next time I can afford it. At least now I can take two dry rotted ones off and still have an awesome spare, plus two good "may-pops" for back-up...LOL.