M151 MUTT I think I am going to buy it tomorrow...

HILLBILLY-06

There are tire companies that sell military grade tires. If you join the MVPA, they have a magazine called Supply Line and in there, you can buy replacement parts and there are adds for new made, military tires.

i always use the cheap regular grade of gas and it runs fine. i get about 16mpg, i have had big o civilian tires on it for years and drive it all over the place, including on the freeway, but i strongly urge you to get in some serious practice before you consider that. i first drove these in 1969. once you put in the rear seat and add the top bows and a canvas top to keep the sun off your head, that's all the weight you need to worry about, as plenty of 151 guys drive them just like that. often without even the top installed. if the lights have been removed, go to the 838 site i mentioned earlier, and print out the wiring diagram, as it will be helpful to reconnect the wires properly. the 838 also has a list of suppliers for M151 parts.

Good find and a good deal. There is a MWO to fix the rear suspension. Nylon strap on the rear arms . We had both 151 A1's and A 2'S in Vietnam. Wish I had a dollar for every one I worked on.

HILLBILLY-06

i always use the cheap regular grade of gas and it runs fine. i get about 16mpg, i have had big o civilian tires on it for years and drive it all over the place, including on the freeway, but i strongly urge you to get in some serious practice before you consider that. i first drove these in 1969. once you put in the rear seat and add the top bows and a canvas top to keep the sun off your head, that's all the weight you need to worry about, as plenty of 151 guys drive them just like that. often without even the top installed. if the lights have been removed, go to the 838 site i mentioned earlier, and print out the wiring diagram, as it will be helpful to reconnect the wires properly. the 838 also has a list of suppliers for M151 parts.

I got the lights, and those corner brackets too... Installed the top bow and top, fording tailpipe, but I still got to put the tail lights in it. One of the bulb holder sockets, out of about 4 in one light is rusty kind of wicked... but I may be able to clean it up. Not sure yet, but I will be working on it as much as I can... "OH CRAP" I forgot to say it's All Mine now, I brung it home late this afternoon...LOL

I promiss pics as I get going later on, and spend some time alone with it. I cant wait till my neighbor see's it, He use to drive them off the cargo ships in NAM, right down a long pier and bunches of them, he's going to love it.. I told him this afternoon I was going to pick one up, you should have seen his eye's light up.... it was awesome to talk with him about it. More later... this is definately going to be a fun project, but I know it will take me a while to make it look great, well I mean it looks great now, from a distance....LOL but I can fix that over time.

HILLBILLY-06

Thanks, I checked out that site after you posted the link... My nieghbor also tells me there is a guy right here in town he thinks, that buys those tires at surplus and sells them cheap, my buddy who helped me out today, has his own tire machine stuff too, so that will help a bunch....

HILLBILLY-06

Good find and a good deal. There is a MWO to fix the rear suspension. Nylon strap on the rear arms . We had both 151 A1's and A 2'S in Vietnam. Wish I had a dollar for every one I worked on.

"You got directions" on how I might do that? I'd love to find out about it, "Quick fixes" are alway's of great intrest to me...LOL But will that make it safer going around the curves and stuff?? If so, I definately want to find out about it....by all means...

Nice score. Congratulations. It really sounds like it has gone to a good home! Have fun with it and keep us updated.

Regards,

Zeph

HILLBILLY-06

Here it is, a cell phone pic, It is raining here & didn't want to take dads digital camera out in the rain, but I did go out and snap a quick one with my cell after me and my buddy got the top on yesturday evening. Its still raining even now, I'm drinkin my coffee and can't wait to go out and start tinkering with those tail lights or something, so I can get them back in... I promiss better pics when it stops raining... Dave.

post-89663-0-73847000-1374491248.jpg

HILLBILLY-06

This Mutt cost me $1,600.00 and one old john deere mower that I didn't have much money at all in. I just threw it in cause the guy needed it and I had two of them, didn't need both of them. His asking price was $3,000.00 but I got him down to 1600 & the old mower.

now that's what i call a real good deal.this is by far the best of the jeep type of vehicles, ( in my opinion ), and you have a lot of fun heading your way.

HILLBILLY-06

Thanks, It's still not real bright outside yet, and its raining, but if my eye's didn't decieve me, one of the data plates says USMC 335XXX I couldn't make it out in the dark, very well and the plate is kind of faded and dirty looking... I will try to get pics of that when it is through raining.

HILLBILLY-06

There are several wires coming out of the tail light recess holes, I didn't notice if they were marked or not, that may be a challenge to figure them out. Also me and the previous owner tried to hook up the fuel guage wires, he said it didn't work anyway, but WOW we must not have had it on right, or a naked wire is lurking in there.... POW, sparks flew all over us and needless to say, "we didn't do that again".... So I will also have to figure that one out too. Don't know if its the guage, the sending unit or the wiring, but that PDF file I downloaded showed how to test some of that stuff "I think".

if they have not been messed with, each wire has a small metal tag with a number on it. the tail light wires will each have one, and the harness going to the tail lights will also have one, on each wire. match up the numbers. one thing that will be helpful---get some vaseline and put a light film on the rubber surface of the part that plugs in. not only will this make it easier to assemble, and disconnect in the future if needed, it also serves to increase the parts protection against water intruding into the connection. this vehicle originally was equipped with an electric fuel pump, so that wire is "hot" as soon as the switch is on. are you still using an electric pump, or has it been converted to a mechanical pump? the wiring diagram will give you the code numbers which will tell you which of the wires under the seat go to the fuel pump, and which one goes to the gas gauge sending unit.

HILLBILLY-06

It must be mechanical pump, because it works with those wires unplugged ?? I havent spent much time with it yet, Also I am unsure about the little tags on the wires, but they all look original, some need to be taped or shrink wrapped in a few small places. OH, yeah maybe someone can tell me more about it as time goes on too, here is the data plate pic from the dash, I don't know what all the info means really, so yall look and then compare the body pics to the data plate, maybe see if it looks right, tell me what I actually have here??

post-89663-0-20543800-1374495738.jpg

HILLBILLY-06

sorry that last pic is kind of crummy after downsizing it... but maybe you can make out enough to tell me some stuff...

HILLBILLY-06

As Promissed, more pics... I got several pics of UNDER the Mutt, I don't know if its cut or uncut, but I didn't see any welded up stuff under it, yall tell me if you see anything, I just don't know where to look?

post-89663-0-97911100-1374498267.jpg