M151 MUTT I think I am going to buy it tomorrow...

HILLBILLY-06

HILLBILLY-06

I JUST FOUND THIS TODAY AND DROVE IT AROUND ALL OVER THE DANG PLACE IN HIS NIEGHBORHOOD, tried out all gears, the 4x4 everything... It cranks, runs, drives, the wipers work, just needs some minor body work and has complete water fording kit. We took off the rear exhaust extension, so he could show me the rusty spots on the corners, I will try a few more pics, one at a time to try to get them to upload, I have to downsize them first.

I should be going to get it tomarrow, I hope if all works out well.... & it's $1,600.00 plus my old john deere mower, which I am happy with. IT RUNS AND DRIVES, unlike the others I looked at. I am happy with it, and I hope you guys can tell me more about it, but because I was able to drive this one, I am jumping all over it this time....

post-89663-0-68157100-1374367712.jpg

HILLBILLY-06

Last pic for now, untill I got more time, I am sure you guy's know way more than me about this stuff, but I got to get this one, after having drove it all over the place today. The young guy's wife is expecting, and they need the cash more than the jeep, so this one is mine, even if there are things that are really not up to par or something. Please don't be mad at me for jumping hard on this one, but I just had to this time, it's the first one I saw that I could crank and drive and run all around the place in. The only thing I didn't see work was the fuel gauge, we tried to hook it up, but made some wicked sparks, so we unplugged it again.... Let me know what you guy's think, I will check this a couple times, before I dive off the deep end tomarrow, and go pick it up anyway.... LOL... Dave.

post-89663-0-70180400-1374368661.jpg

RustyCanteen

Is it titled? I think it can be difficult to get them licensed for highway use in some states.

HILLBILLY-06

I would snag it in a heart beat.

Thanks, And I am sure hoping tooo.... I have to wait on my buddy with the trailer to take my mower out there after church tomarrow... I hope he don't back out on me, I really need this one to work... LOL

HILLBILLY-06

Is it titled? I think it can be difficult to get them licensed for highway use in some states.

NOT tittled, just bill of sale, and I live in Alabama, I don't know, but screw it, I will drag it behind a motor home to take to car shows if I have too LOL...

RustyCanteen

NOT tittled, just bill of sale, and I live in Alabama, I don't know, but screw it, I will drag it behind a motor home to take to car shows if I have too LOL...

I think Alabama has a pretty easy route to title a vehicle, stop by your local DMV and they can probably tell you what you need to do it right.

This has some good information on M151's: http://g503.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=116&sid=ac0b6a441e68c1b0e55bf9133c6db665

HILLBILLY-06

I got a few more pics, we had taken all the seats out of it, to see the floor pan (his idea) not mine, so some other pics don't show the tail lights, the seats installed, etc... but I love it.... I will work on the pics here in a few, when I am done eating supper, it's been a long day, and I aint eat nothin yet....

You might want to go early tomorrow or else I might jump in and take it! Kidding aside, getting them tagged isn't all that hard, in my state, actually easier than getting a old clunker tagged. You should be able to claim it as antique and there are companies out there that will insure it as a antique. You just have to state that you won't be driving it over a certain mileage.Get it and enjoy it. I highly recommend that you join a local MVPA so that you can expand your chances to take it to shows and events.

HILLBILLY-06

One more, still eating supper/working on pics... You guys chime in if you see anything amiss, or wrong, but I am dead set on this one.... I am hoping I havent gone wrong. It needs a little work, but only a little. Can ya'll tell if it is an M151, or an A1 or what, some dude was telling him it is not an A1, but I don't care about that as much as the fact I drove it around all over the place today, that was just awesome man, my first military jeep drive ever....

post-89663-0-37566200-1374370653.jpg

HILLBILLY-06

You might want to go early tomorrow or else I might jump in and take it! Kidding aside, getting them tagged isn't all that hard, in my state, actually easier than getting a old clunker tagged. You should be able to claim it as antique and there are companies out there that will insure it as a antique. You just have to state that you won't be driving it over a certain mileage.Get it and enjoy it. I highly recommend that you join a local MVPA so that you can expand your chances to take it to shows and events.

Amen to that, I need to find out a lot of that kind of info, and I know there is a state park near here that has old military vehicle car shows every year, I would love to take it there, but first I need to get a tow bar...

hbtcoveralls

That's a score. At that price I would grab it also especially in running condition. Looks like it needs some body work but then almost all M-151s need body work. Parts are pretty easy and almost everything is available out there. Keep a lot of weight in the back when you drive it as these have an independent suspension known to cause rollover problems. I've always liked these Looks like a mid 60s M-151A1 and is the type that saw service in Vietnam.

Tom Bowers

HILLBILLY-06

That's a score. At that price I would grab it also especially in running condition. Looks like it needs some body work but then almost all M-151s need body work. Parts are pretty easy and almost everything is available out there. Keep a lot of weight in the back when you drive it as these have an independent suspension known to cause rollover problems. I've always liked these Looks like a mid 60s M-151A1 and is the type that saw service in Vietnam.

Tom Bowers

yeah, the young dude done told me they roll over real easy, but he didn't know about the wieght in the back of them, I will keep that in mind, thank you... I had noticed today, that the back wheels looked slightly canted in at the bottom, so I could only guess how dangerous it would be with no load in the back....

Garandomatic

Seems like a winner to me! Got to love those flat panels. I need to get a military jeep too, the old cars I'm used to messing with present distinct challenges, what with their body styling and compound curves. A monkey with a simple metal break and a wire welder could have that sucker's rust issues patched in no time.

The identiplate on the dash should tell you exactly what model it is. As for roll over, it most commonly was caused by running off the side of the road and then trying to steer back on. If you go off the side, just come to a stop or slow roll and then steer back onto the road and you greatly reduce the threat of roll over in these.

HILLBILLY-06

Thank's guy's, thank's a bunch for all the help, and info, and support over the past few weeks. I will be very happy tomarrow if my buddy will help out like he said and get it here after lunch tomarrow.

There is a plate on the dash, one under the dash on the blower moter (that still works) and another one that is on the rear fender behind the passenger seat on the inside of the jeep. I didn't look to hard at them, I was too exighted after driving it to look at them...

I'm going to sleep soon... wish me luck tomarrow... and if my buddy backs out on me with helping me get it here, "I will know a good place some of us can get together and drive tracked vehichles around in the pretty green grass until it's all turned to slushy mudd"... LOL

Cobrahistorian

Great score, congratulations! 151s are a lot of fun to drive, but they can be squirrely around curves at speed. I drive the museum's fairly often and other than being a little fussy on starting, she's just awesome. Good luck with it and congrats on finding a real gem!

HILLBILLY-06

man I can't sleep, I got up at 3am, done made coffee, woke up the dog and walked her a while, all I can think about is that jeep. The feel of the road under the tire's, the sound of that engine roaring, man I got it bad now.... I been bit by the mutt bug and I love the way it feels now. Exept for not being able to sleep, i just been so full of anxiety since yesturday I couldn't sleep a wink.

Does anybody know if there is any PDF articles or info to download on the Mutt's? I'd like to learn more and figure out stuff about them, that wiring system has 2 batteries in it, and there looks like a big generator under the hood. are all the bulbs 24volt? or does it crank on 24 run on 12? I don't know, I remember how it is wired in the battery box, I think... There is a loop wire that hooks (+) to (-) on each battery, then the long wires go (+) on one battery and (-) on the other, but is that just 12 volts with more amps, or 24 volts? I don't know but I thought I would ask that... I will surely have more questions later on, especially after I have it sitting here this afternoon. and like I said, if my buddy winds up putting me off today or don't want to help me go get it like he promissed, "I want to have a half-track rally" in his yard... He has 10 good acres of pretty green grass we can turn into pure mudd while he's at work....LOL.

the plate next to the steering column should confirm this to be an M151A1, and the plate behind the passenger seat should also. there have been a few changes made in it's life. it has an A2 windshield assembly with electric wipers, and the windshield washer setup is also A2. the 25 amp generator and regulator is gone, replaced with a 60 amp alternator. there is a damaged area above the right rear tail light that should have had a bracket that was the mounting point for the blackout stop light. most of these don't have a heater assembly, but i installed one in mine. they're not very effective, but better than nothing. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TAKE RIGHT ANGLE TURNS OVER 20 MPH. this is where the judgment part kicks in. these will flip if you don't pay attention. the later A2 versions had a redesigned rear suspension, but you still better be careful. it is a complete 24 volt system---the batteries are wired in series. i have been able to find replacement bulbs at my local napa parts store for everything but the headlights. those i have to order from one of the guys that sells 151 parts. these are pretty easy to maintain and repair. i recommend shell rotella 15W40, as it has a better composition for this engine than the newer oils. there is a website dedicated to these alone, it is G838.org all the manuals are there for free as pdf downloads. feel free to pm me if you have questions.

HILLBILLY-06

I read somewhere too, I think, earlier this morning, I had downloaded a TM manual on the M151, and I thought I saw where I should only run 95 octain fuel, and someone a while back said never use gas with ethenol, if it has ethenol in it, to use the additive to neutralize it... So I guess that means no low grade 87 octain or regular gas?

I saw that oil that was mentioned above too, last week when I was at Autozone (shell Rotella 15W40) it was right there in front of me, so I know they have it there.

I hope the tail lights work, he removed them, and those large brackets, to show me the rust, I don't know if he will put them back on before I come over today or not, I didn't ask him that... I have also read the cautions about the curves, that kind of worries me a little, but I don't plan on using it for a daily driver. Someone else recomended to me, that I wieght the back end down real good to straighten out those back tires some. I guess I will have to try that out, but don't know what to wieght it down with that much without looking like the "beverly hill billy's clampet's truck" or somethin, unless yall got any tried true methods I could use on that one.

It need tires, they are dry rotted, but I was concerned about putting civilian tires on it because of that wicked cant on those rear wheels. It would surely wear them back tires out bad on the outside edge it seems like to me.

I wish time would go a little quicker, I aint got long to wait now, my buddy should be out of church soon, and on his way home to get that trailer... "I hope"...