Vol II Heroes In Our Midst Status Report

Jumpin Jack

Jumpin Jack

Many of you have not yet even seen Vol II yet, but you will soon. However, just wanted to let you know that Vol III is currently being put together at the publisher's. There is a very good chance that GEN Kroesen will be doing the Forward. LTG Bob Forman has already agreed to do the Forward for Vol IV. Vol V is yet to be determined.

The very first Forum member to respond to my announcement that I would be doing the history of the WWII Airborne Forces stated, "What possibly can be done that hasn't already been done?" I'll let each of you decide for yourself if I have been able to to live up to my pledge. I'll stack my "credentials" up against his any day. Just had to get this out of my system. Jack Angolia

Jumpin Jack

I'm afraid that you're asking the wrong guy. I simply do the research and the writing, but the layout is Bender's domain. I just had a very long conversation with Roger, and here is what I at least speculate to date: Vol III definitely will cover assorted uniforms (class A, class B, Ikes, A-2 jackets, etc.) at least 130 pages; Unit patches at least 100 pages; maybe decorations; maybe 555th PIR; maybe First Special Service Force plus addendum. As for Vol IV, weapons, field gear, divisional and regimental flags, etc. plus addendum. We have a LOT of material already in hand, and still coming in. I can't even guess what Vol V will cover as that's further down the pike. Hope this gives you somewhat of an idea. My gurarentee is I won't let you down. Jack

Early feedback to Vol II has been excellent. 126 copies went out yesterday to a single outlet (no, not Amazon!) I was glad to get these out. I look forward to your comments, constructive or otherwise, as it only makes for a better product. Thanks. Jack

Brian Dentino

Received my copy yesterday and have to say that it meets and/or exceeds my expectations again! Cracked it open straight away and found that it is full of interesting glider related information and as before, tons of great pictures. Another winner and a great reference to add to the bookshelf (when I am done studying in 6 months). For those of you that have not received Volume 2 yet, it will be worth the wait!

My copy arrived this afternoon and what a beautiful piece of work it is. I quickly thumbed through each page, and I found the inclusion of magazine ads of the period a real treat. I'm already gnawing at the bit in anticipation of the forthcoming volumes!

Joe

Jack: I received my copy of Vol II today and upon thumbing through, a splendid, glorious and magnificent new world opened up. It sure graces the Vol I and arguably surpasses its predecessor. Can't wait to hear from you when Vol III comes available.Congrats and good luck.

Colonel,

Got my copy yetserday.. Incredible....

Looking forward to future volumes. Once again a superb reference book..

Leigh

Thank you each and everyone for your kind comments. It certainly makes the effort worthwhile. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of Vol III. If anyone has anything they think worthwhile for future volumes, even if the subject has already been covered (there's always the addendum section in each volume), please let me know so I can get it included. Anyone providing input will be credited, and will be accorded an additional 10% discount upon purchase of the book in which it appears. As I have long said, my books are not the production solely of myself, but with the help of many to whom I am very thankful. Jack

Got my copy yesterday. I don't collect airborne "stuff", but the book is superb and I really enjoyed looking through it! I will most definitely look forward to Vol III!

Dave

Weird there is a mis IDed Vietnam cammo jacket in the book……..looks like one of Leightions .

If you are going to attack by inuendo, let me suggest you specify which camouflaged uniform you are referring to so you can either be proved wrong or allow me to set the fact fourth. Jack Angolia

I could be wrong but I think he is referring to Volume 1, page 488 & 489

Can't thank you enough for coming back on this as I looked at the camouflage jackets shown in Vol II, and couldn't see a single thing wrong with them. If I might impose, what can you tell me about the jacket shown on pages 488/489 of Vol I? If VN era, it needs to be addressed as such, which can be handled in the Addendum of Vol III. I still think it was a cheap shot instead of PM me to give a heads up, not to mention the fact that he cast doubt on unquestionable specimens shown in Vol II by the manner in which he made his comment. Jack

Jack ,

No cheap shot intended at all.

I was in shock to see a Vietnam piece get through the censor.

The book is great in every way and I am a personal friend of Jakes so I am not playing keyboard kommando games .

owen

post-247-0-70352600-1408457170.jpg

I was pleased to receive this letter from GEN Lindsay. His salutation at the end of the letter, "All the way," is the motto of the 82nd Airborne Division, which he commanded, and I had the pleasure of serving in. Jack

HIOM volume 2 is OUTSTANDING. Another great publication by BENDER PUBLISHING. I would like to personally thank Mr. Bender for his OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE with my order. These folks are excellent to do business with and add to your library.

Fellow Forum members, I am pleased to inform you that Bender confirms that my chapter covering the First Special Service Force (FSSF) WILL be included in Vol III of Heroes In Our Midst. As a result, as is my past publishing history, I turn to all of you who might have FSSF material in your collection that you would be willing to provide for publication, please provide photos in disc form with background data either to me or to Bender Publishing for inclusion. Anyone providing material that is used in Vol III will be credited, and, of course, extended an additional 10% discount besides the 10% Forum discount on the purchase of the book. If the material is sent to me, my address is LTC(Ret.) John R. Angolia, 3949 W.151st Terrace, Leawood, KS, 66224. If sent to Bender, his address is R. James Bender Publishing, PO Box 23456, San Jose, CA, 95153. Thank you in advance for your support. Jack Angolia

• 2 weeks later...