Lt. thru Lt. Colonel G. S. Peterson

Wyonative

Hello All.

I recently posted that I was looking for help in finding more information on this officer in the individual research section.

I know that the Colonel was a Lt. in 1942. I know that he was in Europe and that his combat patch is British Airborne.

Any help as to exactly who he is and where he served would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Ryan

post-11049-0-16017800-1374334709.jpg

post-11049-0-46067500-1374334720.jpg

post-11049-0-26461500-1374334731.jpg

post-11049-0-87958400-1374334744.jpg

post-11049-0-41488700-1374334756.jpg

My guess is that Lt. Colonel G. S. Peterson was one of the junior officers with the 509th Parachute Infantry Regiment during WW2. The 509th PIR wore the 5th Army SSI with a Parachute tab and there was a close association with the British Parachute Regiment as I believe they were given the honor of wearing their maroon berets. If you could locate a personnel roster for the 509th PIR during the war I would see if there is any officer listed by this name. The Pegasus is facing the wrong way but I would say that you have a very rare uniform.

manayunkman

Very significant find.

That patch is way over the top.

Looks like there might be some stars and palms missing from the ribbon bar ?

What is the second to last ribbon ? Red with thin white boarders.

I agree with the previous poster that there is quite a story behind this group.

Could the later uniforms be National Guard ?

Is there more to the group ? Some way to trace back the buying history to find the rest of it.

Regardless you should be proud.

I purchased this grouping from an antique dealer. He purchased it with me in mind and was hoping to purchase more items from the family. They came in once and never have brought anything else back in. I know that if anything else turns up I will be called about it. Several of the shirts bear shadows of the wings and of the British Airborne patch. However they have been removed. I am not sure what the red ribbon is and am sure there were more palms or stars on the other bar. Thanks for the help so far!. Ryan

carbinephalen

Where are you from Wyonative? Specifics like this (the when, where, how, who, and what's) can really help us to narrow this down. He was most likely a local man....

CIB was not present with the group., Was Purchased in Casper Wyoming.............He is not known to have died there or anywhere in Wyoming that I have found might be buried in Minnesota. Can't prove it though. Ryan

The 2 last ribbons in his set are both French. The red one is of the Legion d'Honneur,, Chevalier (Knight in the Legion of Honour). The ladt one is a WW2 Croix de Guerre avec palme (War Cross with palmleaf) an award of Army level.

Could be 509 PIB given the clues.

Regards

Herman

• 5 years later...

The 2 last ribbons in his set are both French. The red one is of the Legion d'Honneur,, Chevalier (Knight in the Legion of Honour). The ladt one is a WW2 Croix de Guerre avec palme (War Cross with palmleaf) an award of Army level.

Could be 509 PIB given the clues.

Regards

Herman

Or FSSF. Recall Fredrick went to command 1st ABTF during Dragoon and it contained Brit para elements. That would dovetail with the PTO ribbon with star (Kiska) He could have followed Fredrick there as a member of the ABTF staff and been liaison to the Brits.

Would still love some help with this one

Have you checked Burhans FSSF roster. Lots of guys from your general geographic location joined the FSSF or settled there after the war.

• 1 year later...

I HAVE IT! BY GEORGE, I THINK I HAVE IT!

Confidence is high that these are the uniforms were worn by Gibson Sloan Peterson of Casper, Wyoming.

"RENOWNED TAXIDERMIST MAKES LASTING GIFT TO CONSERVATION An acclaimed taxidermist, Col. Gibson Sloan Peterson, has preserved nature of another 2,000-acre ranch east of Casper, Wyoming. The 97-year-old naturalist, wildlife filmmaker and leader in the field of modern taxidermy died peacefully at his home on July 24. He left the ranch he and his late wife acquired in 1949 to the Conservancy as part of his estate plan. Col. Peterson first came to Wyoming in 1933 as an 18-year-old. He entered active duty in the U.S. Army in 1939 as a Second Lieutenant in the Seventh Cavalry Regiment of First Cavalry Division, participating in five major campaigns in Europe, including the D-Day invasion in France. After World War II, Col. Peterson served as Military Governor in Germany before relocating to Casper. He met his wife, Ida Jarrad, when he was a Calvary officer and she was a member of the Boots and Spurs Club. Ida was a wildlife photographer and Col. Peterson had a long and distinguished career in taxidermy that would bring serious big game hunters to his renowned studios in Wyoming. Throughout his life, Col. Peterson remained steadfast in his quiet commitment to preserve the natural world. I don’t need publicity, said the Colonel about leaving his ranch to the Conservancy. I’m just happy to know that wildlife have a home." https://pdfslide.net/documents/2012-wyoming-annual-report.html

And his service number so you can request his file:

PETERSON, GIBSON S O-363994 CAV R PETERSON, GIBSON SLOAN O-363994 AUS SO

Copper I would bet Aleutians

That would be my bet as well since there is no star on the American Defense Ribbon meaning he couldn't have been at Pearl Harbor.

Beast are you going through old threads solving mysteries?

Sounds like a good idea during this period of COVID-19, but no. Wyonative presented me with a challenge to see if I could find him. Wish I could find something about his British Abn patch!