Fake Uniforms and Hats to Patton, Eaker, Pyle, Stewart, and more.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First, if I saw a single one of these hats, I'd be cautious because there's little to no wear (aside from knowing about this thread, of course!)

Second, if I saw an auction with a lot of these hats with the same stamping...I'd be even more suspicious.

Third, if I saw a four-star general's name stamped over the original owner's name in the hat...oh good golly! (Check out Hodges'!)

Sad...some people are really going to lose their wallets in this auction...

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Man...what an amazing auction...it looks like whoever's collection was being sold was either the deep-pocketed, uneducated sucker of a buyer from whoever is faking these hats, or it's actually the estate of of the guy who was making these in his basement. There are some nice hats here...if you don't mind them being tainted with a bit of fake naming... :o

How many of these are going to end up going for big money down the road to unsuspecting buyers??

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/Category/Hats-286.html

Screenshot_20.jpg

Screenshot_19.jpg

Screenshot_18.jpg

Screenshot_17.jpg

Screenshot_16.jpg

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

So many visor caps, lot of fakery there. Name a famous WW2 American general and his hat is in this auction! Wainright, MacArthur, Gavin, Abrams, Taylor, Bradley, Lemay, Roosevelt, they're all here in 1 amazing auction!

Yes, they know what they've got and they priced them accordingly.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I just caught their disclaimer, "The following four caps have had names embossed on their leather sweatbands. The caps are original US Army General's caps with gold bullion leaves on the visors, three with gold bullion leaves embroidered on the bodies as well, but we are of the opinion that the names have been added post period."

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/Lot_Of_4__US_Army_General_s_Dress_Visor_Caps_-lot464608.aspx

This is terrible that the auction company probably knows that they're fakes but still is deciding to get rid of them by selling them in an auction to unsuspecting collectors.

The auction house is very clear and upfront that these are original caps with fake names added and are selling them as such.

Any bidders who are "unsuspecting" because they are too lazy to read the description are not victims.

Caveat emptor.

I think the auction house is walking a fine line with their disclaimer...they're accurately stating that the names were added, so they are off the hook. What will be interesting is to see how many of these end up on eBay or at shows being sold as "THE RAREST OF THE RARE - GENERAL SO-AND-SO'S HAT!"

When you think about it, it would be super easy to create a little fanfare, some nice lighting, a nice display case, pop General Bradley's hat in it, and...BOOM...for the unsuspecting, deep-pocketed collector, slap a $5000 price tag on it. Not saying I'd do it, but it's easy enough that you know it's going to happen... sigh...

IMA-USA will probably buy all of these...

:lol:

YEP

Afghanistan Vet OEF 10-11 - Engineer Corps US Army.

Getting a medal means two things:

1. Someone saw you do it.

2. You didn't tick off the approval chain.
Seeking 984th Engineer Co (Land Clearance), 36th Engineer Regt/Bde, and Sanitary Corps items from all eras.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif