Fake Uniforms and Hats to Patton, Eaker, Pyle, Stewart, and more.

The question is, what would really change if General Yeager said the hat was indeed his? Would that make ANY of the other hats more credible?

It would definitely change the provenance on Yeager's hat if he said it was his. However, that would be something really fantastic for the seller to provide...and not the buyer buying it on the "hope" that it's real. :)

As an aside, we've mentioned that some of the items Henderschott has are bad. However, out of that same collection he purchased, I have personally held in my hands a particular item that's beyond reproach and is higher-end than anything else we've been talking about. What I've seen before, and what we're seeing again, is that sometimes someone who has more money than education (at least with specifics regarding fakes) will buy both good and bad items in their quest for an "outstanding" collection.

I would venture to say that chances are, this person with deep pockets probably bought things here and there, some things obviously 100% right and good, others 100% bad, and at one point in their buying career ran across a dealer who had a story that went to the tune of "I am helping a museum clear out their collection...are you interested?" Who knows, maybe that dealer (or other collector) was being told that by another seller...but somewhere down the line, someone was happily stamping away at sweatbands and making "high end" pieces for the ultimate buyer. Unfortunately, these are poorly done fakes...partially because they made so many exactly the same from notable personalities. If they had been far more selective, if they had included unknowns as well as known personalities, if they had used more than one stamp font...the list goes on...and they probably could have gotten away with at least some of it.

Oh, and you can't forget...if the internet and US Militaria Forum hadn't existed...they would have gotten away with it... :D

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can assure you my pockets are not deep. I have a modest collection. Saw the Eaker hat at the tail end of a show, made a very low offer and got it for just over the price that unnamed Lux hats often (though not always) sell for. Got a nice Lux, even if tainted with what has been concluded to be a bogus name stamp. I feel badly for those who have laid out thousands for the other items in question that sold in one day, given the conclusions that have been reached on them. But as for me, I have pulled the Eaker hat off the market so it wont be a bother to anyone again.

I just had a chance to view a lot of WWII and post high ranking visors today (Including Stewart). None had a stamped name (nor did the Bradley one I have in my collection). I am not saying it's not possible, but VERY rarely did stamped names appear in any high ranking hats.

Will Twomey

In Honor of:

USA General John Wickham (1928-)

USAF Colonel Bernie Fisher MOH (1927-2014)

USMC Sergeant Al De Vito (Chosin Reservoir Survivor) (1926-)

USA Cpl. Macedonio Leyba (Bataan Death March survivor) (1917-2007)

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Just want to be sure that everyone is clear on what I am saying. I am NOT saying I believe all of these named hats are real. Most, if not all are fakes based on one or two original examples previously observed by the person(s) who are engaging in criminal activity. As much as the rest of you, I would like to see them get caught and brought to justice. What I am saying is that it is possible that one of the named hats could be the real deal but that nobody would ever believe it given the high volume of hats similarly marked that have recently flooded the market. Hence my comment on the Yeager hat. His endorsement of that hat as real would only get some on this blog to conclude that one hat to be real. Others on the blog would question his memory as they have already posted, So I just don't think we should be bothering the General with this question, especially since his answer will do nothing to address the other hats noted on this blog. The Wainright hat is clearly a fake, since even the hat is a fake. But the others appear to be real hats, some with very convincing aging added to them. Did you check out the wear to the sweatband on Stewart's hat? Right down to cracks that follow right through the stamped lettering. Very sophisticated aging process, no fly by night criminal here. He really is plying his trade. That brings me to the second point I was trying to make. Collecting antiques, whether military, paintings, cruise ships, etc. is so terribly much a Buyer Beware hobby it is really a shame that we who have a passion for whatever it is that we enjoy as a hobby need to take so much time to educate ourselves to stay (hopefully) one step ahead of the forgers and counterfeiters. Makes me wonder why I even bother collecting. I don't think that anyone out there is faking butterflies. Maybe I should shift over to that and sell off my military stuff. At least two or three of my items are probably real. :D

I know it's possible that uniform items like these could end up on E-bay, but I just don't buy it that they're real -- unless of course some uniform item got discarded during the course of a person's career and then snapped out of a garbage can or discard bin by someone -- especially if they were issued.

Most of the WASP uniform items were grabbed out of discard bins by the WASPs themselves after being turned in. The women literally turned them in and grabbed them out of the bins in the back of the building.

But custom made uniform items are a totally different matter and I would wonder why some family member hasn't cried foul.

• 1 month later...

The tall tales keep getting taller. Now it's Teddy Roosevelt, Jr.

http://www.ima-usa.com/original-u-s-wwii-army-ike-jacket-named-to-brigadier-general-theodore-roosevelt-jr-medal-of-honor-recipient.html?trk_msg=DFS5P0QC38QKN6FC8LGNKQLRKO&trk_contact=L6FAAEL0GC7N7SNM9PLI1CKQQG&trk_module=arm&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Product&utm_campaign=20150529&utm_content=20150529

Strange thing is, I see PTO ribbon with two battle stars. Try as I might, I couldn't find anything about TR Jr. being in two Pacific campaigns. Since he was awarded the CMOH posthumously, I'd think his DSC and SS would be on there as well. Looks like they aren't even trying anymore compared to their earlier efforts.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

Oh goodness...with the provenance being a lightly-penciled "TR R Jr" in the area for the inspector mark. And look at the description...there were MORE of them, all from the same collection!

fdsfdsfdss.jpg

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

Oh, and Spruance's uniform. Someone is sadly dumping a ton of money into fakes for their collection. This one is 100% garbage...anyone want to take a guess at what I'm seeing wrong with it from the photos?

asdasdaas.jpg

sdsadsa.jpg

asdsadsadsad.jpg

Wainwright's is bad too... (not like I wasn't thinking that, but it's a bad fake...)

dfsdfssdfsssd.jpg

asdsdasd.jpg

Here's a little offering for the wing guys...

sdsadadasdsad.jpg

Zxzzczxcxzc.jpg

Mitchell's uniform is the closest one yet to being actually someone of an articulate fake. There's a letter of provenance, which is nice, and was probably typed up on the old typewriter the guy had that was used for things like Admiral Spruance's hat tag. He used a chemical wash to get rid of the original name on the tailor's label, and then actually attempted to get a matching color of ink to write the new name. But failed. And then there's the second name label. What the heck? That spoiled the whole thing right there! :D I AM glad though that the name tape in "Mitchell's" hat expressly noted his nickname...just in case anyone wondered who William Mitchell was... ;)

dvdfdfdsf.jpg

vcxvxvcxcxv.jpg

More from Mitchell...

gsdfgtdsvvccx.jpg

vsfgdsgdsfg.jpg

Now, Frank Luke's hat MIGHT convince someone if they didn't know about the others and saw it at a show. I'm not a fan of it, as I've never seen any name tapes quite like that. BUT...WW1 had a lot of funky stuff and so the possibility of it happening isn't out the realm of chance. But given that it came from the same collection, I'd still run (not walk!) away from it!

Note in the description that there are 150 of these! Oy!!!

dfdfdsfs.jpg

I don't want to sound like I'm saying that all that dealer sells are fakes. In fact, checking out some of their British stuff, it looks good to me. I've screen-shot this one so you can see a difference between what I consider to be a 100% legitimate name tag (this one happens to be British) and the garbage posted earlier.

The sad thing is that either the "unnamed recluse" is cobbling the US stuff together and then selling it, or he got taken by someone, and now this dealer is getting taken...and passing on the favor. With 150 items from this collection, this means the market will be pretty saturated, and most of us will probably start seeing this stuff surface at local and national shows. I'm just glad that for the handful of people who are reading this thread, we can say "we told you first!" and that the warnings are there. I do honestly feel bad for the uneducated collectors who are going to be taken for a ride down the road. That isn't the best way to grow the collecting community, for sure...

dafdasfdas.jpg

Another one of interest is this group to Bainbridge. They admit that the provenance isn't really that great (in fact, pretty much non-existent). But apparently that's okay for the other uniforms?? Things that make you say "hmmmmm...."

If this group had good provenance, and the authenticity of the hat was undisputed, it would have sold long ago. Heck, I would have personally bought it!

aasdasdsa.jpg

Nice posts Dave.Thanks for detailing these

I guess its bait the hook and see who will bite?...lol

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

I'm sure CMDR Spruance just used that card to get into "their" mess.....they do have better food there. I got you Dave....so easy an Army officer can figure it out. :D Someone must have a factory turning this stuff out....I guess it's the old make a lot of money quick and disappear rather than release a few every now and then.

Afghanistan Vet OEF 10-11 - Engineer Corps US Army.

Getting a medal means two things:

1. Someone saw you do it.

2. You didn't tick off the approval chain.
Seeking 984th Engineer Co (Land Clearance), 36th Engineer Regt/Bde, and Sanitary Corps items from all eras.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Wow. Just wow. I cannot fathom having thousands of dollars to throw away, and these buyers must think they've bought quite a prize without doing a bit of research.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Hate to keep dredging it up but now they have Teddy Roosevelt Jrs's Ike! There must be a donation box in front of The Pearly Gates and IMA (or their clientele) have exclusive access!

David Turman

Semper Fi !

"Not as Lean, not as Mean, but still a Marine!"

The Roosevelt uniform has more than a few problems including ribbons on his last worn jacket that were issued posthumously. OOPS! At least they should do some basic research before putting these together.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifimage.png.2af0a7402103d56e807d4463539d1737.pngimage.png.619ecf0c747324860cd0c73e8aa3cffc.png

I'm sure CMDR Spruance just used that card to get into "their" mess.....they do have better food there. I got you Dave....so easy an Army officer can figure it out. :D Someone must have a factory turning this stuff out....I guess it's the old make a lot of money quick and disappear rather than release a few every now and then.

I am not following, was a Commander's rank abbreviated CMDR at that time, and is mislabeled CDR as is the later abbreviation in the cap?

Justin

Ebay Sales: wwii.uniform.collector

Auctioneer Website: http://www.cnymilitaria.com

Facebook Sales Group

I am not following, was a Commander's rank abbreviated CMDR at that time, and is mislabeled CDR as is the later abbreviation in the cap?

Justin

No, it's just that he used the card that would be expected from a Chief Petty Officer...not so much a senior officer.