Fake Uniforms and Hats to Patton, Eaker, Pyle, Stewart, and more.

I saw that myself. Hopefully it's provenance is better than a few recent things I've seen discussed on here.

Ugh...once again, an awful attempt at forgery...

fdsfdsfs.jpg

vczvcvcx.jpg

dfsdfs.jpg

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good golly...Stewart's uniform is just as bad!!!

fdsafdsasd.jpg

dfdsfds.jpg

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I've combined the two topics together, as it's clearly obvious that the hats on eBay, the items that Hendershott is selling, and the IMA uniforms are all from the same hand. From the IMA description, these all came out of a collection of "150 uniforms" to famous individuals. Either someone was buying them actively from a faker, or they just manufactured them "for fun and profit." Regardless, they are all made by the same faker and the collecting community should be made aware of what to look out for. Seeing this style of fake should make someone really take some time do to some research (and hopefully find this thread) before dumping thousands of dollars on garbage.

And for those just joining, here's a collage of the hat naming...pretty much no way possible that these were done by separate tailors at separate times for separate people...

fgfrgfdsgfdgsdfg.jpg

With so many of these on the market, if there ever was one that actually was the real deal that the fakes were modeled after, who on this blog would ever believe it? The posting of a real Lux named to the non-famous officer shows that Luxenberg hats with stamped names where the letters were stamped unevenly and there were just initials for the first and middle name did exist after all. So the pattern existed unless you also are doubting the 30 year old collector's photo as well. What is a real shame is that when so many of these are showing up, all are suspect and none end up believable. In an earlier post when I suggested that I would seek out the dealer for a refund on the Eaker hat I was reminded that a blog would likely not serve as proof to any dealer that he sold a fake, whether knowingly or otherwise. So it really is a Buyer Beware market and this blog, particularly the posting of all the photos is a great service to collectors so that we can make better decisions and adjust our comfort level on purchase prices accordingly when we see something we just gotta have but where there is no solid written provenance. And one final word on provenance is that I suggest that the buyer beware in that regard as well. I have seen way too many letters attesting to items that other dealers have later on questioned and challenged. What I have is worthless and what they have is priceless. Test that theory out by bringing one of your prized items to a militaria show and check out what a dealer is willing to give you for it. Very entertaining.

WHERE THERE IS MONEY TO BE MADE, THE TAPE WORMS OF SOCIETY WILL GO TO NO END EVEN WHEN IT COMES TO RUINING AN ORIGONAL HAT OR JACKET JUST TO FILL THEIR CORRUPT POCKETS.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2017.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2018.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_12_2018/post-2-0-82042400-1545944020.gifdonation2020.gif

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2007.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2008.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2009.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2010.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2011.gif

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2012.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2013.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2014.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2015.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2016.gif

WHERE THERE IS MONEY TO BE MADE, THE TAPE WORMS OF SOCIETY WILL GO TO NO END EVEN WHEN IT COMES TO RUINING AN ORIGONAL HAT OR JACKET JUST TO FILL THEIR CORRUPT POCKETS.

QUESTION IS WHO IS REALLY AT FAULT.IF PEOPLE WOULDNT BUY IT THESE CLOWNS WOULDNT KEEP MAKING THIS STUFF UP AND SELLING IT.PEOPLE LOVE TO THINK THEY ARE BUYING AND POSSESSING A ONE OF A KIND UNIQUE ITEM.THEY STROKE THEIR EGO AND VANITY.PRETTY EASY TO SELL STUFF TO PEOPLE OF THIS TYPE.PEOPLE TODAY ARE NO DIFFERENT THAN THOSE OF THE PAST.LOOK AT HOW MANY "JESSE JAMES" PISTOLS HIS MOTHER SOLD OFF OVER HER LIFE TIME AND THERE WAS AN ENDLESS SUPPLY.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Thanks for posting the "Tibbets" uniform Dave, it's even possible to see where the original name was on the label, beneath the fake stamping.

Matt.

Collecting WWII and pre-war Air Corps items-Unit Histories,Uniforms,Medals and Groupings.

*Seeking Pre-WWII Air Corps Officers and Enlisted Dress Uniform items!*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

QUESTION IS WHO IS REALLY AT FAULT.IF PEOPLE WOULDNT BUY IT THESE CLOWNS WOULDNT KEEP MAKING THIS STUFF UP AND SELLING IT.PEOPLE LOVE TO THINK THEY ARE BUYING AND POSSESSING A ONE OF A KIND UNIQUE ITEM.THEY STROKE THEIR EGO AND VANITY.PRETTY EASY TO SELL STUFF TO PEOPLE OF THIS TYPE.PEOPLE TODAY ARE NO DIFFERENT THAN THOSE OF THE PAST.LOOK AT HOW MANY "JESSE JAMES" PISTOLS HIS MOTHER SOLD OFF OVER HER LIFE TIME AND THERE WAS AN ENDLESS SUPPLY.

Many collectors fall prey to slick websites. They incorrectly associate "very nice website" with "originality".

donation2017.gif

Dave, thanks for putting those images together, I think that speaks best.

This reminds me of my initial reaction from the DeTrez airborne books coming out. I was blown away by the number of items stencilled for their original owners (and always really clear and not faded). I've been collecting for a long time and know how rare it is to have names marked that large and clear. Many other airborne collectors agree that it seems an amazing that DeTrez got that much stuff which was all marked for the paratroopers who supposedly used them and that they're all very clear and readable to this day. A 82nd AB collector/re-enactor I once served with called marking up real stuff with famous names as, "Detrezing" something...

Looks like the same thing is going on with these hats.

Lee Bishop Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

US WW2 War Correspondent collector

A 82nd AB collector/re-enactor I once served with called marking up real stuff with famous names as, "Detrezing" something...

Looks like the same thing is going on with these hats.

Now thats funny!!!

"QUESTION IS WHO IS REALLY AT FAULT. IF PEOPLE WOUNDT BUY IT THESE CLOWNS WOULDNT KEEP MAKING THIS STUFF UP AND SELLING IT. PEOPLE LOVE TO THINK THEY ARE BUYING AND POSSESSING A ONE OF A KIND UNIQUE ITEM. THEY STROKE THEIR EGO AND VANITY. PRETTY EASY TO SELL STUFF TO PEOPLE OF THIS TYPE."

I recognize I may be a little slow and all, having purchased a "fake" Eaker hat to stroke my ego and stare at myself wearing it in the mirror since I am so vain, but did you really mean to post that the victim is to blame for the crime? Seriously? Can only imagine what your theory is on victims of violent crimes.

Seeing as how Yeager is still alive - anyone considered sending the general an email about "his hat" ? That would be the ultimate bust for this. I'm sure Chuck would not be happy about someone making a buck off fake merchandise.

http://www.chuckyeager.com/

Afghanistan Vet OEF 10-11 - Engineer Corps US Army.

Getting a medal means two things:

1. Someone saw you do it.

2. You didn't tick off the approval chain.
Seeking 984th Engineer Co (Land Clearance), 36th Engineer Regt/Bde, and Sanitary Corps items from all eras.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Would you remember a specific hat you wore 70+ years ago?

I can't answer that because I'm not 70+ years old but he might remember if he went to a tailor and got it stamped.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a thousand pictures!

"I read that in war bad things happen, Ain't that the ************* truth" -1st Lt Mike Scotti

Would you remember a specific hat you wore 70+ years ago?

YES I would ;) But not everyone has a detail-oriented mind like that.

Or I'd at least be able to say "no way in hell I'd have that stamped on the sweat band".......which is the point of my comment.

Seeking 984th Engineer Co (Land Clearance), 36th Engineer Regt/Bde, and Sanitary Corps items from all eras.

I think the Chuck Yeager sent all of his things that he did not want to keep to the Smithsonian. Even if he did let this hat go somewhere else for some reason, he might remember that...

Will Twomey

In Honor of:

USA General John Wickham (1928-)

USAF Colonel Bernie Fisher MOH (1927-2014)

USMC Sergeant Al De Vito (Chosin Reservoir Survivor) (1926-)

USA Cpl. Macedonio Leyba (Bataan Death March survivor) (1917-2007)

The question is, what would really change if General Yeager said the hat was indeed his? Would that make ANY of the other hats more credible? Would the Pyle hat then be viewed as real since the same dealer has that hat also? Probably not. In earlier posts, people were doubting these hats since there were no known examples of an actual regular Joe officer's hat that was embossed in the way that the Eaker hat was embossed. Posts were stating that calling cards or handwritten ink names were the only known real examples. Then along comes a post showing SJ Charles hat embossed in the same way as Eaker's. Same font type, same uneven lettering stamped into the sweat band, first two initials, last name, even was a Luxenberg just like Eaker's. That changed nothing. In fact, very soon after the pictures of this real named Lux were posted, the title of this blog changed from "Real or Not" to "Fake Uniforms and Hats" passing final judgment on all of these items including Yeager's. I believe that other than me, nobody on this post has actually held one of these particular hats, examined them under high magnification or any sort of physical inspection. Photos from varied websites and varied angles have been the hard evidence used to form these definitive conclusions. So even if someone were to get General Yeager to look at the photo, people are already posting doubt in his ability to accurately remember that far back. Maybe there is a forensic test that would be able to date the ink used on the stamps, but guessing that would be costly and only suggest the counterfeiter did his work long ago. Provenance that is as indisputable as the item itself is the only real way to know for sure, but there is questionable provenance out there as well. I once saw a medal display from the son of a WW 2 vet where there were modern medals in the display mixed in with WW2 issue medals. He said his father gave the set to him and he was honestly shocked when I pointed out that some of the medals were modern, given that his dad (now deceased) did not serve after WW2. So here was a guy who really believed all of the medals in the display were earned by his dad when some were just medals the dad may have collected and put on the same display board with his actual medals. Like I said before, this hobby is fraught with peril and we who collect (to feed our egos and vanity I guess) must research known museum examples and then make the best personal informed decisions that we can, recognizing that somewhere out there, there will always be at least one person or perhaps many, who will doubt the authenticity of the item you possess.

I don't have a vested interest in any of the hats or uniforms posted. Looking at the big picture, in the last 12 months, hats named to Patton, Wainwright, Pyle, Eaker, Stewart, Tibbets, Yeager, and S.J. Charles have surfaced. Of these, 7 are easily recognized names. The ink stamps inside the Stewart and Tibbets uniforms are identical. Believe what you will, but I think the simplest explanation is that someone had an old stamp set, saw one instance where a name was stamped into the sweatband, and created a bunch more for profit. The burden of proof lies with the seller to prove to a prospective buyer that these are not modern creations. Just my opinion.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Agree with MattS - So one person on this huge forum had a hat named in a similar manner in their collection....one (so far). Most of use have lockers of headgear. I've never seen a cap named with embossed gold letters in 20+ years of beating up shows and anitque malls. Now all of a sudden multipe hats marked like this show up.....all named to famous people priced to sell quickly. Sorry, I don't buy it one bit. I especially don't like the Yeager one just because it spells out COLONEL...not just COL. Seldom do you ever see the rank spelled out, except on calling cards. I'll eat crow on it if I am wrong, but my gut is telling me people are getting taken for a ride on these.