V100's and their crew

m151mp

just curious to know if any other members here spent time on V100's during the course of their service? what theaters were you in during that time period? when was it? what was your platoon's primary mission that utilized these vehicles? what sort of mechanical issues can you recall? we had 6 of them, and most had to have the throttle cable replaced, one of them lost the steering gear box, one a rear differential, one lost a run flat tire, which was quite a job to get that handled. that's the sort of thing i'd like to see responses on. look forward to hearing from V crew members.

Ditto...

ian, this example from 720 MP's is equipped just as ours were. in the pic above with the flat, by odd coincidence, the flat we had was also right rear. breaking the bead down in order to remove the lock rim and then get the old tire off the wheel proved to be rather difficult. after breaking an engineer co's tire machine, we ended up driving over the tire with an M113 apc. we did this several directions and both sides, we then put the new tire on the wheel, then took it to tan son nhut afb where the guys who fixed airplane tires inflated it for us in a tire cage. it took quite a bit of pressure. i only remember getting one flat, and i'm glad of that. it was a pain in the rear.

Sounds like a tough job! As it happens, the camo'd USAF V-100 above is identified as being at Tan-Son-Nhut AFB.

Sounds like a tough job! As it happens, the camo'd USAF V-100 above is identified as being at Tan-Son-Nhut AFB.

the air police at tan son nhut had several of these, and you will notice that their model didn't have the turret mounted twin barrelled machine guns that the army MP model used. instead, they had a hatch that would open, and troopers could stand up inside the hatch to fire. this offered far less protection to the crew than the turret did. while the air police in this pic is wearing standard green jungle fatigues, we did see several men at tan son nhut equipped with erdl fatigues. we made several trips there and back to swap for parts and retrieve parts that were flown in on redball priority. the V100's also saw some use with arvn units, though i don't know if any former arvn's are members here.

What memories, our unit repaired every type of wheeled or tracked vehicles. IIRC the MP's of Long Binh left one to be repaired. One of our guys had way to much to drink one night and "borrowed" the V-100. Rolled it a few times on the bunker line road. Got busted after an article 15, the turret was pretty messed up after hitting the berm next to a bunker.