Army Nurse Corps impressions

memphis_belle

memphis_belle

U.S. Army Nurse carrying her few personal belongings is ready to embark. Destination: Unknown. ~ 1942.

(Blue service uniform, black oxford shoes, M1 helmet, M36 belt with a first aid pouch, musette bag, M1VA1 gas mask bag, blue wool overcoat and seamed stockings)

1374317_10151687541316149_210426637_n.jp

1375009_10151687534186149_2029796686_n.j

Great impressions and I agree that the photography is fantastic. Great jobs on the uniforms and accesories.

For a good read on the WWII nurse experience try "And If I Perish: Frontline U.S. Army Nurses in World War II" by Evelyn Monahan and Rosemary Neidel-Greenlee. It really drives home what these courageous and steadfast women went through. They volunteered even though they were looked down upon for their service. This is not my area of collecting or knowledge but it was definitely an eye-opener.

Thanks for posting,

HolyHappiness

So I got my Wife's nurse corps impression underway. Her and two others (friends) were featured as ACNs for a very brief scene in Saints and Soldiers: The Void! (she's the blonde) Sorry for the poor photos.

1238981_10201261590634756_467476875_n.jp

1238155_10201261589514728_1797725402_n.j

U.S. Army Nurse carrying her few personal belongings is ready to embark. Destination: Unknown. ~ 1942.

Very nice! I like how you did the picture in black and white.

Do you have a color print just so we can see what the items look like? I am very interested to see everything.

...Kat

For a good read on the WWII nurse experience try "And If I Perish: Frontline U.S. Army Nurses in World War II" by Evelyn Monahan and Rosemary Neidel-Greenlee. It really drives home what these courageous and steadfast women went through. They volunteered even though they were looked down upon for their service. This is not my area of collecting or knowledge but it was definitely an eye-opener.

This book is at the top of my list! It started me reading all about nurses in WWII. I also recommend reading "We Band of Angels" about the nurses on Bataan. That one is even more of an eye opener.

...Kat

So I got my Wife's nurse corps impression underway. Her and two others (friends) were featured as ACNs for a very brief scene in Saints and Soldiers: The Void! (she's the blonde) Sorry for the poor photos.

They look great. We will have to look for them in the movie.

...Kat

You ladies are doing an outstanding job and many of us appreciate your desire to preserve the history of the women who gave so much during World War II. It was a pleasure to see these high quality photographs. As a personal aside, it is interesting to me that when I saw the photo of the SS reenactor, I had a very visceral response.

Keep up the great work and I noticed in particular how you are paying attention to the hairstyles and accurate lipstick colors.

• 3 weeks later...
memphis_belle

Very nice! I like how you did the picture in black and white.

Do you have a color print just so we can see what the items look like? I am very interested to see everything.

...Kat

Yeah, sure I have a color print. Here it is:

9tp3.jpg

Uploaded with No_outside_hosting.us

e1l6.jpg

Uploaded with No_outside_hosting.us

memphis_belle

1238981_10201261590634756_467476875_n.jp

1238155_10201261589514728_1797725402_n.j

It must have been an interesting experience to be a part of making a movie! I feel envious :)

But if I may give you (or rather the ladies) an advice for the future, I would suggest paying closer attention to details like accurate 1940s hairstyles and make-up. I mean no one wore bangs back then the way we do it today, for example. Small detail as it may be, it often ruins the whole impression. And I think the lady on the right (2nd pic) happened to tie her leggins the other way round ;) I'm not trying to criticise, I just think it's never too late to learn something to improve our impressions!

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic impressions! Thank you for making sure the ANC is also remembered.

I don't know how I missed this thread when it was started, but somehow I did.

RC

memphis_belle

Will all the nurses be gathering in mass in 2014 somewhere in Europe then???

Yes, in Normandy during the 70th anniversary of D-Day - June 7, 2014 at Utah Beach.

• 1 month later...
memphis_belle

Hello everyone! I would like to share some pictures taken during the 69th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge.

After a long trip across Europe, I finally managed to get back home last night. Last weekend in Belgium was a great time spent in great company. I met up with Justine (also registered on this forum) and other ladies. Apart from visiting numerous interesting places, we laid floral tribute at the grave of nurse Lt. Nancy J. Leo - the only woman buried at the American Cemetery in Hamm, Luxembourg. On Sunday, we gathered at the Mardasson Memorial in Bastogne in order to take part in the photo shoot inspired by WW2-period photographs of Army Nurses. We also had some fun riding a jeep in the streets of Bastogne!

Here's me (on the left) and Justine (right) in Bastogne wearing ANC blue service uniforms and overcoats.

1470086_10151835816211149_1125068995_n.j

Lt. Nancy Jane Leo at the American Cemetery and Memorial in Hamm, Luxembourg:

1468762_678235515541572_1583647064_n.jpg

1476058_563957773683968_193111919_n.jpg

1459983_692140044143300_850362125_n.jpg

1483287_1445663095654716_1583595707_n.jp

And this is me on the Lanzerath Ridge - 99th Infantry Division sector

post-105115-0-30240200-1387217649.jpg

1468620_563953423684403_1928634313_n.jpg

Emanuela aka Emi aka Memphis Belle is unbelievable girl! I am really proud of the fact she is a Head of my reenactment association.

I agree! Her knowledge is amazing! She has always been very helpful to me as well as others on here regarding women in the military. It does not go unnoticed around here.

...Kat

memphis_belle

Fantastic pictures! Thank you so much for all that you do.

I never new this about Lt Nancy Leo. How did she die during the war?

....Kat

Nancy Jane Leo

1921 - 1945

Nancy Leo was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Patsy Leo of Frederick Street in Cumberland. She was a graduate of Catholic Girls Central High School, and went on to become a member of the 1942 graduating class of the Allegany Hospital School of Nursing.

Nancy soon enlisted in the Army Nurse Corps to serve her nation during World War II. On July 24, 1945 Nancy was on her way to Paris, France to visit her sister Angela, also an army nurse. Nancy was riding with two other nurses when, as the result of a close-by civilian car experiencing a blow-out, the nurses' jeep overturned. Nancy suffered severe injuries and passed away enroute to the hospital. The two nurses she had been riding with were injured.

Second Lieutenant Nancy J. Leo of the U.S. Army had been a member of the Army Nurse Corps for three years, had been serving overseas for 16 months, and was stationed at the 216th General Hospital. She is buried in the Luxembourg American Cemetery in Luxembourg City, Luxembourg. In a local newspaper article at that time it was noted that Nancy was the first nurse from Cumberland to lose her life in service to her country, and that her gravesite at that time was adorned with an abundance of flowers and was the most beautiful within the cemetery. She is also the only American nurse buried at the Luxembourg American Cemetery.

Nancy's father, Patsy, had been a Cumberland policeman and had passed away a year earlier. She was survived by her mother, her sisters Angela and Rosemary, and a brother, Richard. Nancy Leo would have been 24 years old on August 10th, 1945.