B-24 crash pieces

Sparty On

These pieces came from a B-24 that arrived today from France. Based on the information I was given, I was able to narrow these down to 1 of 2 B-24 aircraft belonging to the 464 BG that participated in a mission to Givors, France on May 25, 1944. Only 1 of the 4 aircraft was able to return to base in Gioia del Colle, Italy. Another crashed at sea and the other two remaining aircraft crashed in France after completing the bombing run. Of the two that crashed in France, one was named "Strictly from Hunger" (serial number 41-2942) and if I'm not mistaken the other aircraft was named "Lucky Lady" (serial number 41-29382) based on the MACR. "Strictly from Hunger" crashed near the village of Saint-Raphael. The second aircraft went down near Agay, France.

post-104736-0-10873100-1374029416.jpg

Last one is a close up of some kind of writing that is on the front of the piece with bombing missions

post-104736-0-47446500-1374030098.jpg

• 1 month later...
USCapturephotos

Wow. Super pieces! I've always been partial to the B-24. I have several pieces of German aircraft, and one British but have yet to get any US aircraft wreck pieces.

Paul

I plan to have a life size nose art panel created once I can narrow it down to which aircraft these belong to. These are the first U.S. pieces I have seen.

USCapturephotos

I know a 15th AF vet who went back to the village where his airplane went down. A local farmer came to meet him and gave him a large piece of the skin from his B-24 which the vet now has. I have a picture of him with the piece somewhere. I will try to dig it up and post it later.

Paul

Paul,

Yes, that would be a great photo to see!

I've managed to trace these pieces back to the original local who collected them but it is all in French.

Mike

USCapturephotos

Here he is. Sgt. Frank Lashinsky, 455th BG, Shot down on his 6th mission in Bosnia and escaped. Was shot down again on his 25th mission to Hungary. This is a piece from when his aircraft went down in Hungary. I forget what squadron he was with but can look it up if you would like. I know another 8th AF veteran who went back to the village in Austria near where he was shot down and one of the villagers still had the radio mans seat pulled from the wreckage. He showed me photos and gave me the address of the family who had it. I wrote to them hoping to acquire it but never heard back.

Paul

It was a real honor to meet and speak with him.

post-100030-0-78961500-1377271444.jpg

USCapturephotos

Mike. Don't give up. Do you know any French speakers that could help you translate? I'm sure if you went to your local high school you could find a French teacher that could help you. Actually, I start school next week and could ask one of my French teacher friends to help if you needed me to.

Paul

That is a great photo and an even better story.

I think the 455th was based in Italy as well. My pieces came from the 464th which was also based in Italy.

USCapturephotos

Yes. I also have a collection of 400 photos taken by a photographer with the 454th BG in San Giovani. Do you remember off hand where the 464th was based out of?

Paul

Yes. I also have a collection of 400 photos taken by a photographer with the 454th BG in San Giovani. Do you remember off hand where the 464th was based out of?

Paul

I'd love to here more detail on those 454th photos.

USCapturephotos

Hey Mike and others. I have posted some of that grouping on a photography forum called pixpast.com I'll post the link here later. There are a number of nose art shots, crashed shots, and my favorites...shots of the Me 109 that led to "Operation Gunn". If you haven't heard of that story google it. It's a super story as Gunn was a member of the 454th.

Paul