Aleutians Pilot Display

mr_lits

Here is my most recent display. It is modeled after a P38 Aleutians Pilot. He really needs a set of A10 boots but they are pretty scarce. B5 flight helmet with audio, AN goggles, B6 Jacket, B3 Mae West, Seat Chute Harness, A6 Pants and A6 boots (for now). Hope ya like it.

post-112555-0-10506500-1374028926.jpg

post-112555-0-99108200-1374028944.jpg

post-112555-0-91319500-1374028950.jpg

Not that I'm partial to P-38s at all :)

Great stuff. I've been a fan of the 54th FS for a long time. They did some things in their 38Es that the folks in the ETO probably wouldn't have considered and they were doing it a lot earlier

Really nice display, who is your model, the guy this is patterned after? My own Father flew P~38s there in the 54th and his flying uniform was more like the individual directly above. But he also had the full Arctic regalia so the pictures I have could be from the summer.

Any chance of sharing the photos and a bit more history on Dad? I have the 54th history on microfilm plus a written history by on of their pilots. Had a chance to talk to John Geddes way back when. Always wanted to find the 38 he ditched in Massacre Bay :)

I wish I could be helpful but I don't have any of his stuff right now though I helped him a few times when he hosted their reunions. I think they slowed down about ten years ago and began consolidating their gatherings under the larger 10th AF groups.

I have seen the video of the recovery of the P~38 that Art Kidder deadsticked in and is now at Hill AFB. Very discouraging how they butchered a flyable airplane to get it aboard the barge.

Anyhow, my Father transferred to Elmendorf after the war and for a time was the commander only because he chose to remain on active duty while everyone else went home. He returned to the US when the unit shut down.

I love the photo Driver, it would surely have been summer. An A2 even with a heated suit would be still be a cold flight in some areas even in the summer. A B7 parka was the usual compliment to the A6 pants but was not user friendly in a fighter cockpit and know that the B6 issued up here as well during that time. I have seen some photos up here in the aviation museum of guys with heavily mixed sets of the arctic gear dependent on their needs at the time. I am trying to scrape up a B7 Parka, but they are quite had to find in any condition.

Hey Driver my wife is from St.Paul and I have family down in Rochester. I don't get down there to often anymore but love the Twin Cities and wish I could move back to Duluth someday.

Thanks for the comments, I will see if I can dig up any AAF Alaskan picts in the next day or so.