Planes aboard the USS Lexington 1931-33 Question

jerseygary

I'm writing a story about a ballplayer named Howard "Torpedo" Mills who was an aviation machinist mate aboard the Lexington in 1931-34. What kind of planes would he have been working on during that time frame? Mills, who never played baseball in his life, joined the ship's team to get more shore leave and was so good he led the Lady Lex Minutemen to back-to-back All-Navy Championships and went on to play in the majors for 5 years.

Interesting story and I want to make sure I get the details right...

vostoktrading

Here's a photo on the Lexington in 1931 with the caption "U.S. Navy Martin T4M torpedo aircraft are launching from the deck of the aircraft carrier USS Lexington (CV-2) in 1931. Note the "four-stacker" (Clemson/Wickes-class destroyer) in the upper right corner".

post-7885-0-49018300-1374035648.jpg

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll try figuring out the plane types tomorrow. Thanks again!

The Lexington had in 1936.

18 Grumman F2F-1 Fighters, 18 Boeing F4B-4 Fighters, 20 Vought SBU Corsair Dive Bombers, 18 Great Lakes BG Torpedo Bombers, 2 Grumman JF Duck Amphibians, and 3 Vought O2U Corsair Observation Planes.

Thanks again for everyone who helped me out. I missed the Boeing by one model number and now it's correct in the story. If anyone is interested, here is the story I wrote - it's more baseball than military though...

TorpedoMills_zps8eeab2b8.jpg

Howard "Torpedo" Mills