Trench art 306th BG(H) cigarette case

renfield

This is my latest Ebay pick up. It will make a great addition to my display. I really enjoy these personalized items. They are history you can touch. It is from the 306th BG 368th BS the "EAGER BEAVERS". It also has the letters W.B.Q. I guess are the mans name. I will have to do some research as I do not know of too many last names that start with the letter Q. I thought some of you might enjoy seeing it.

Steve

post-5349-0-45785000-1373943295.jpg

Thanks guys. This forum has taught me to wait for these kinds of personal items. I paid just a bit more for this great piece of trench art than if I had bought a mass produced cigarette case with the AAF logo.

Steve

AAF_Collection

Nice catch Steve, I have seen similar cases from other 8th Air Force units and was told they were produced to order by Italian POW's, a kind of "cottage industry" rather like the bone models made by French prisoners during the Napoleonic War, though how true that story is I don't know!.

Matt.

Nine O Nine

Hi Steve/ Matt.

I have a cigarette case almost exactly the same that belonged to someone based at first air division HQ at Brampton grange and the stuff that came with the group states that he got his made by an Italian POW. Does it have anything on the inside Steve?

Tom.

littlebuddy

Steve, gimme gimme !!! :) love it buddy !! as you know i like this sort of thing !!!

LB

Thanks for the kind words. As a matter of fact it has a bunch of grapes on the inside. I had no idea why there would be grapes. It could be a home sick Italian POW adding a touch of his home. I would have never thought of that connection, thanks for the info Nine O Nine.

Steve

post-5349-0-66936500-1374529180.jpg

Nine O Nine

No problems Steve.

I will try and get some pictures of mine done in the next couple of days. The interior of mine has a pin up inside maybe grapes and wine weren't the only thing the Italian POWs were missing!

Thurleigh and Brampton aren't far away at all and the 306th were a first air division group so could even have been made by the same guy?

Tom

Nine O Nine

Hi Steve,all. Hope you don't mind but i thought i would post the cigerette case from my own collection as a comparison. As i said in a previous post my case belonged to an enlistedman based at First Air Division HQ at Brampton Grange. I think he paid a pound for it (But i'd have to check) as you can see its more of a generic 8th Air Force type as opposed to a crew specific one like yours.

post-7499-0-18439800-1374939800.jpg

Thanks for posting your case Nine O Nine. It does look as if it could have been made by the same person. It would be great to know the story behind them. The pin up girl is classic 8th AAF. Super great item