Field test?

buzzard517

post-8021-0-23583500-1373915222.jpg

post-8021-0-71859300-1373915308.jpg

I recently picked up this field jacket. I thought it was an M65, but could not find a date. As you can see, the tag says T-63-5. Is this a field trial/predecessor to the 65? It bears the SSI of US Army Alaska with Airborne tab. Over the right breast pocket is a patch that says "Tomahawks". Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
craig_pickrall

I would guess that the T-63-5 is for a field test done in 1963 and that is pattern number 5. Does it have a hood with zipper in the collar? If not then it probably has nothing to do with the M65. They may have been testing various weights and types of material. The results of this test may have contributed to the design of the M65 but it isn't the same pattern ( I think ).

The coat was worn before the 172nd Infantry Brigade was formed as we would see the 172nd Infantry Brigade patch rather than U.S. Army Alaska. The 23rd Infantry unit at that time would be the 4th Battle Group 23rd Infantry, soon to be renamed 4th Battalion 23rd Infantry. The Airborne tab? I can honestly say that puzzles me, it would only be in the Spring of 1965 that the now 4th Bn 23rd Inf had a airborne component, it's C Co (ABN).

I'll try to get some more pics up tonight. I wish I could say with certainty that there's a hood in the collar, which I think there is, but I just don't remember.