My Maternal Grandfather's Grouping - Raymond Potter Campbell, Jr. (USMA '41, COL, USA ret.)

30Mauser

We lost him suddenly in 1997, but his strength, wisdom, and love rings throughout the generations. An American and a grandfather "like you read about".

Received this grouping from my uncle (his son) last weekend and it's missing these from the third row:

1. WW II Victory Medal
  2. Army of Occupation Medal
  3. Korean Service Medal
  4. National Defense Service Medal w/1 OLC.

I also note that

1. The order of precedence of the LOM and SS are reversed (maybe this was formally changed at some point?)
  2. His DD-214 shows 1 OLC on the LOM whereas the ribbon has 2
  3. His DD-214 shows 16 OLC on the Air Medal whereas the ribbon has 15 (i.e. 3 silver OLC)
  4. His DD-214 clearly indicates award of Distinguished Flying Cross, but we have no recollection of him ever wearing it and it is not in this grouping. He was armor in WW2 and Korea, then went through the Army's senior officer aviation program in the early 60's and was an aviation unit commander in Vietnam. My uncle tells me that he looked "haggard" after returning from Vietnam, and decided to retire shortly thereafter. I'm wondering if the DFC was awarded near the end of his tour for something he chose never to discuss with us??

Here's his bio. The wrong tombstone is pictured... it's his father's (USMA '16), who, along with his mother, is buried next to him. All told, our "family plot" at Arlington contains 7 family members. (Family joke: our plot "looks down" on the Kennedy graves. :D )

null_zps341a9a6d.jpg

1SG_1st_Cav

The ribbon to the right of the LOM is the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC), not the Silver Star. The ribbons are in the correct sequence. Preserve that history as best as you can. Danny

The ribbon to the right of the LOM is the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC), not the Silver Star. The ribbons are in the correct sequence. Preserve that history as best as you can. Danny

Doh! You're absolutely right (of course)... he didn't receive a Silver Star... so many family members with so many overlapping medals that I got them confused. Thank you!

Realizing as well that he would have earned one or two service stars on his KSM. Need to find out more about dates of command of the 89th Medium Tank Battalion in Korea in 1953.

Very nice- "Black '41" had many members who made fantastic contributions to the Army in WWII and Korea. They also lost many members during that time including some who graduated and were sent to the Phillippines in time for the start of the war.

Kyle

Anyone know the best way to get or create a replacement ribbon bar for the missing row that would match/fit nicely? As noted, these are missing ribbons per his DD-214 (still need to verify his dates of command of the 89th Medium Tank Battalion in Korea in 1953 to determine correct number of service stars on the KSM.

1. WW II Victory Medal
  2. Army of Occupation Medal
  3. Korean Service Medal
  4. National Defense Service Medal w/1 OLC.

Thanks in advance!

• 1 year later...

Bumping this in the hope someone has guidance about how/where best to get replacement ribbons for the missing row.

• 3 weeks later...

You can get the ribbons and devices (OLC and stars) new. They won’t exactly match the others, but they’ll be a good placeholder. Here is one place among many where you can find them:
http://www.medalsofamerica.com/SubCategory--Army-Medals-and-Ribbons--m-594?gclid=CMmmkOOQt8MCFQoFaQod5awA-A

The 4-place bars are harder to find than they used to be but here is one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quadruple-4-Place-Ribbon-Bar-Holder-Mount-Clutchback-/301359786614

Buy the ribbons and slide them on the bar in the correct order (WWII Victory, Army of Occupation, NDSM, KSM) then poke in the devices and you’ll be good to go for less than $20.

Crap, you're right FA_MAJ, I have the order of precedence wrong for the NDSM and KSM. My fault.

Will have to check the construction and see if it's something I can swap myself.