type E1 gloves , electrically heated

littlebuddy

littlebuddy

could anyone cast some light on to this particular type of electrically heated glove ? issue dates etc ??

thanks LB

littlebuddy

those gloves in your link Johan are of the F TYPE GLOVE the ones im talking about are the E TYPE GLOVE

Thanks for the comment though

LB

I've heard of an E-Type Jaguar, Carl...but never E-Type gloves! Do you have a photo you can add here?

littlebuddy

Rob unfortunately the connectors have been removed , there is only a slot on the inside where the connector would have been . these were 24 volt powered

LB

• 2 weeks later...
littlebuddy

Right i think i have found somthing regarding these gloves The E-1 glove was to be used with the F1 electrically heated suit and proved none to dependable due to the breakage of the heating elements , they were standardized in 1941 and became limited standard on October 13 1944

any thoughts as to why there is no "property of army air forces" on the label ??

LB

It is not unusual to see the absence of "Property Army Air Forces" on labels, Other glove labels along with many other items sometimes don't have either.

We know for a fact they are AAF due to two indicators. The first one is the spec. 94-3115....94 is a number code designating that it is the property of the AAF, I forget the official term for this number and somewhere I have the full list 1 thru ??

Second we see that the contract has the 535 prefix which indicates this was a contract awarded by the Material Command AAF

littlebuddy

It is not unusual to see the absence of "Property Army Air Forces" on labels, Other glove labels along with many other items sometimes don't have either.

We know for a fact they are AAF due to two indicators. The first one is the spec. 94-3115....94 is a number code designating that it is the property of the AAF, I forget the official term for this number and somewhere I have the full list 1 thru ??

Second we see that the contract has the 535 prefix which indicates this was a contract awarded by the Material Command AAF

thanks Dustin !! i thought that i had bought a pair of post war gloves till i had a good read of Sweetings book ! are these the rarer type ???

LB

I can tell you these are pre 1944 from what I'm seeing in the data probably late 42 early 43. I have been out of the AAF clothing loop for sometime but from my possible out dated experience the F-2 are more common...I am reluctant to use the word "rare" here.

littlebuddy

I can tell you these are pre 1944 from what I'm seeing in the data probably late 42 early 43. I have been out of the AAF clothing loop for sometime but from my possible out dated experience the F-2 are more common...I am reluctant to use the word "rare" here.

thanks again Dustin , as long as they are wartime they should fit in niceley with my USAAF collection

thanks LB

• 3 years later...