The USN was Stingy with Decorations Early in WWII - Story of a VF-5 / VF-17 Fighter Pilot

KASTAUFFER

I recently acquired this group and it highlights clearly how hard it was to earn an Air Medal in the US Navy early in the war.

This pilot served in both VF-5 at Guadalcanal in 1942 and with VF-17 ( the Jolly Rogers ) in 1943-44 . While serving woth VF-5 at "cactus" he scored a probably kill on August 9, 1942 and he himself was shot down and badly burned bailing out of his Wildcat on Sept 13, 1942. After his tour with VF-5 he served a full tour with VF-17 flying lots of missions strafing airfields ETC. His nickname with VF-17 was " Stinky " .

After his tour with VF-17 he was assigned to testing Navy Ordnance near the Salton Sea. On June 20, 1944 a rocket exploded under his aircraft's wing and he was killed.

After serving 2 tours and scoring a probable kill, you would think he would have earned an Air Medal....... he didn't.

He did receive a Purple Heart for the burns he received bailing out of his aircraft and he did earn an NUC with VF-17 and 2 PUCs ( one with the 1st Marine Division having served on Guadalcanal , and one with the USS Belleau Wood ).

Late in WWII the USN was awarding Air Medals for 5 Flight/Strikes. He would have earned a DFC and multiple AM awards if he had flown late in the war. Because his combat was early in the war, he did not.

This thread is dedicated to your memory Stinky.

InnisDonaldA_photo2JPEG.jpg

MVC-012L.JPG

MVC-013L.JPG

I also have the Purple box for his Purple Heart .

MVC-014L.JPG

MVC-015L.JPG

MVC-016L.JPG

Nice early snowflake Naval Aviator wing by Amcraft .

MVC-017L.JPG

If you have any groups where you feel the veteran was not " justly awarded" feel free to add them to this thread.

Kurt

A fantastic, well document group Kurt...and a fitting homage to "Stinky".

Sad to think his service wasn't recognized by the Navy due to regs back then, but your thread preserves his service and sacrifice. Thank you for taking the time to show us his awards and all the documents, may he rest in peace.

Best wishes to you!

Joe

Not a group, but the man that flew the B-26 in my avatar (Robert Barcroft) was a friend of mine. He was a first pilot, with 50+ missions to his credit, including D-Day, the 12/23/44 Eller railroad mission (in which the group lost 10) and other very tough low level missions. He was awarded 12 air medals, but was never awarded a DFC. That has always left me shaking my head.

History Man

Great group Kurt; it is interesting to see how during the war the USN/USMC were especially stingy with their awards, I would have thought with the record this man had he would have at least rated an Air Medal, if not a DFC for his actions.

Philip

This is a Kurt group all the way! You are the patron saint of underdog Naval personal, who contributed quietly to the war effort. This is true collecting for history's sake. Very nice!

uniformcollector

I agree with the above! Another amazing group of medals alone. The paperwork makes it even better!;

SEABEEBRIAN

The Navy still awards medals and decorations less often than the other services, but I guess I don't mind too much when I see army and air force personnel with full chests of awards after 20 years. A Chief on my first ship only had 6 ribbons and his highest award was a meritorious unit commendation when he retired.

uniformcollector

The Navy still awards medals and decorations less often than the other services, but I guess I don't mind too much when I see army and air force personnel with full chests of awards after 20 years...

I agree. I know this has been said many times before but, I think the AF and Army not only award too many medals but, some that I believe should not even exist such as the Army service ribbon, the overseas service ribbon etc.

Wharfmaster

Sadly, a "no decoration" group is common for sailors that served overseas in the first half of WW2. If you were lucky, perhaps a PUC.

W

Great grouping, Kurt. You are spot-on about the USN's lack of awards early in the war. I believe it was a combination of unclear criteria, lack of command involvement and questionable admin procedures. A look at different units may show different results. The criteria changed later in the war as you point out but it was not retroactive.

I have a group to a Guadalcanal USMC Ace who arrived in August 1942. His five kills, a Zero on 29 Aug 1942 3 Betty bombers on 10 Sept and a Zero on 13 Sept. He finally received a DFC in 1943. No Air Medals or any other Decoration. He flew in Korea; was KIA in 1952 flying a Corsair. Has a PH but no AMs. Go figure. Semper Fi.......Bob

Adding a P.S.

It should also be remembered that the Air Medal was a new decoration authorized in May 1942 and adopted in September 1942. Therefore it didn't actually exist during the late 1942/early 1943 time frame. It was out there but not fully available. After these early combat aviators returned from combat tours and it was available there apparently was little retroactive consideration. So it seems to me....BG

aerialbridge

Your wonderfully documented PH group really makes your point about USN "stinginess" in awarding aviation awards early in WW2 compared to later and also compared to the Army. Thanks for sharing the history.

It doesn't make up for it, but apparently at least he is honored and remembered at China Lake where he died.

http://www.chinalakealumni.org/Shipmates.htm

Very nice set Kurt. Thanks for posting it and telling his story! It really is amazing he didn't even get a AM!

I have a few groups where I believed guys should have been awarded higher decorations than what they received. One that comes to mind is a set I have to a L-Pilot who rescued a downed fighter pilot behind enemy lines while under fire. He was armed with nothing more than a couple hand grenades. His plane received damage from enemy fire and also from skimming tree tops trying to get off the short landing area he was in. He had to land his plane back at base with no landing gear. He and the fighter pilot survived. He was awarded the DFC. Not a bad award by any means, but I think he should have received a Silver Star or DSC in my opinion. I haven't shared this set yet, but will at some point.

JD

Kurt, I agree with the Navy stinginess policy described by you and the others in this thread. If a man did not fly in Naval Aviation, or serve in successful submarine patrols, his chances for a decoration were slim throughout WW2. I've made a habit of checking out new Navy good Conduct medals offered on eBay, for possible decorations awarded to the veteran. I've not found a single decorated NGC man yet, after checking close to 100 NGC medals in Weigand's "All Hands Index".

One bright spot appears in some of the WW2 Navy award card copies I've seen. The Navy upgraded quite a few Commendation Ribbon awards to Bronze Star Medals. This apparently enhanced the retirement benefits for a career sailor.

dhcoleterracina

Over the years our military has "over awarded" and "under awarded" decorations. It is sad when a person does not receive the credit for acts of bravery or service. Others receive medals that they may not deserve. WW1 First Division Silver Stars and that group who received the MoH for re-enlisting during the Civil War come to mind. I'm glad Kurt is doing what he can to keep his memory, service and bravery alive.