Death of an American President

disneydave

The two images in this post come our way courtesy my friend Are Myklebust.

The first image Are sent me is a copy of a Donald Duck newspaper strip, which appeared on April 5, 1945. In the strip Donald's nephews ask their uncle to explain the war to them. Donald tries to answer their question through a novel idea: the nephews become the three Allied leaders: Louie is American President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Huey is British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and Dewey is Russian leader Josef Stalin. Donald, unfortunately, had to assume the role of German dictator, Adolf Hitler.

blog_strip_2.JPG

The interesting point about this strip is the change that occurred when the art was reprinted in Walt Disney's Comics & Stories comic book #60, dated September 1945.

blog_comic_3.JPG

On the afternoon of April 12, 1945, exactly one week to the day after the newspaper strip was published, President Roosevelt died of a massive cerebral brain hemorrhage at his vacation retreat in Warm Springs, Georgia. When the strip art was reprinted in the comic book, a name change was made to reflect the change in American leadership, when Harry Truman stepped in to replace Roosevelt.

The newspaper strip story was originally written by Bob Karp and was drawn by the great duck artist Al Taliaferro.

My thanks to Are for providing this interesting bit of history.