Veterans Casket Flag Question....

kfields

I now have two of these. One from my grandfathers funeral who served in WWI and the second from my father in law who served in WWII.

I'd like to tag these for posterity so that future family (or future collectors) will know their history.

I've thought about attaching some sort of tag on them that would explain their meaning but so many times in my collecting experience, I have seen tags or paperwork get seperated from the item and so the story is lost for ever. Putting the flag into one of these triangular glass fronted display boxes (with a note inside or attached to the box) may be a good solution but still not a guarantee that the flag and box do not get separated sometime down the road.

What do you think about writing directly on the flag in some sort of indelible ink? Perhaps a short description to include the veterans name, unit served, SN, dates, on the white spine part of the flag at the attachment end?

My first reaction is that it would deface the item but the more I think about it, the more I like it. Vintage flags that I have purchased in the past seem to hold more history and value if they have writing on them and this solution would ensure the history will not be lost as long as the flag is in existence.

So what do you think?

Kim

Hello,

I would suggest not writing directly on the flag. I have never seen a flag that has been written on look good, at least to me. Perhaps you could come up with a cloth tag that you could then stitch on to the flag's edge on the grommet side. Or you could have some basic information embroidered in the spaces between the grommets.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Hello,

I would suggest not writing directly on the flag. I have never seen a flag that has been written on look good, at least to me. Perhaps you could come up with a cloth tag that you could then stitch on to the flag's edge on the grommet side. Or you could have some basic information embroidered in the spaces between the grommets.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

EXCELLENT IDEA!!

I see these at estate sales and thrift stores on a fairly frequent basis and I think it would be great if they all had the veteran's name and service (and maybe service dates and birth and death dates) written in Sharpie in the white area on the hoist side of the flag. Heck the flag maker's stamp or logo and flag size are already in that area so it's not like it is sacred ground.

I will add that these flags are always kept folded so it's not like the writing will be on display, but it will be there forever to memorialize the veteran.

Excellent idea and I just applied it to my uncles burial flag. Now it can be linked to his other documents and kept without worry for some future caretaker.

Putting the information on the white border is a good idea. I personally bought a wooden display case for my dad's casket flag that has his name, etc and the USMC seal etched on the glass.

1SG_1st_Cav

When my Italian American War Veterans Color Guard Team conducts a flag ceremony at the gravesite we also slide a small cloth bag with a drawstring in the folds of the flag. The small cloth bag contains empty 30 Cal shell casings for the family to share.

Not everyone in the family can have the flag, but they can have an empty shell casing to remember their departed veteran.

Danny

I have had info like that embroidered in the white area (Called the Hoist). My handwriting sucks and ink can bleed on fabric. Embroidering is cheap, looks great, and lasts forever

If you don't want to attach anything directly to the flag use a cardstock tag withe string and attach to the grommett. You could then tuck it inside the fold where it won't be seen.

I have had info like that embroidered in the white area (Called the Hoist). My handwriting sucks and ink can bleed on fabric. Embroidering is cheap, looks great, and lasts forever

Do you or someone in the family does the embroidery or where do you have it done?

Kim

Do you or someone in the family does the embroidery or where do you have it done?

Kim

My wife has a embroidery machine. I have also used a local taloring shop.

Excellent idea and I just applied it to my uncles burial flag. Now it can be linked to his other documents and kept without worry for some future caretaker.

I respect that you use a term that I use. For we are never the owners of these precious items, only a temporary caretaker. When I placed my grandfather's Spanish American War Trapdoor into his only living son's hands, I also presented him with a transfer document recognizing I have only been a caretaker until itr returned to the traditional family.

Roger