An M5-11-7 Assault Gas Mask and Accessories, A pretty complete grouping of Chemical Corp gear

rambob

Here is a pretty nice M5-11-7 Assault Gas Mask and rubberized cloth bag. This would have been the exact style carried ashore by the soldiers landing on D-day and would have been discarded shortly after that. Along with it I have put out a grouping of accessories to detect, protect against and treat the effects of gas warfare. I took a queue from my wife and always find that "In order to beautify you must accessorize!". I was actually surprised a little when I dug it out and put it all together for the photos, as I had forgotten how much of the stuff I had.

1) Excellent condition M5-11-7 Assault Gas mask with perfectly soft and pliable rubber. The mold mark under the chin is interesting in that it has 3 concentric circles, almost like a target, with a 44 in the center. There are patterns of dots in the outer two circular rings and the numbers 553 and 318 molded outside of the circles. Finally a 40T 40-4 is ink stamped on one of the cloth straps.

2) Mint rubberized, M7 carrying bag with snaps, marked US UL ARMY ASSAULT GAS MASK. Ink stamp on strap is M7 LOT FT 40-4, which matches the lot number on the mask, which means they are a matched set.

3) EyeShield, M1, Air Spray, disposable goggles.

4) Cover, Protective, Individual. A disposable, plastic cover also known as a “Gas Cape”.

5) Kit, Gas Mask Waterproofing, M-1 and contents with scarce khaki pouch.

6) Newer style OD can of 4 – Tubes Protective Ointment, M5 and 1- Tube Eye Ointment BAL.

7) Older style grey can of 4 – Tubes Protective Ointment, M5 and 1- Tube Eye Ointment BAL.

8) Older style grey tube of Protective Ointment M4, with original cardboard box

9) Gas Mask Repair kit, Company, MII, in original cardboard tube with contents.

10) Two styles of the Anti-Dim cloths in the cans. The earlier greenish-yellow color can is somewhat scarce.

11) Impregnite in Clothing testing kit, M1, in original cardboard box.

12) OD can of Shoe Dubbing.

To the left of the mask, from top to bottom are the following:

12) Can of Paint, Liquid Vesicant Detector, M5 Type II for detecting gas and chemicals.

13) Can of Impregnite, Shoe, M-1

14) Canister, Combat, MII, Spare filter for M5 gas mask, still sealed in can.

post-299-0-21294400-1373748073.jpg

Nice bit of kit, seen photos/film of the bag, being worn, but never knew what was carried inside one.

Welshman, I may have mislead you here. The only accessory that normally went into the bag with the M5 mask is the small can with the Anti-Dim cloth in it. There is a cloth loop inside the bag to hold the little can and keep it from moving around. There was enough space where a GI could add some of the accessories shown that he thought he might need.

Hi rambob

Thank you for letting me know, it was was me, I read your post wrong, as you can tell, I'm new to the WW2 American collecting/interest.

Welshman

Rambob, very nice, very nice indeed.

We need to hook up some time. Looks like you're in my neck of the woods.

I love to show off my Chemical collection to the locals :)

Dan

• 1 month later...
Fixbayonets!

Impressive mask with all of the goodies, thanks for posting this! I have a question regarding the anti-dim. You mentioned that the earlier greenish-yellow color can is somewhat scarce. I have a can of anti-dim in that yellowish color that came from the grouping of a WWI Doughboy, it looks like the same color as the one you posted. Were they using this can as far back as WWI? I also have a can of anti-dim that is light green in color. Here is a photo of the anti-dims I have - top yellow, middle light green and bottom grey.

Thanks,

Rob

post-168-0-67428000-1377388548.jpg

• 9 years later...

It's been quite awhile (10 years) since this topic had any activity and I decided to juice it since I believe the gas items shown in this topic would still be of interest now. I am also linking to another topic where I found a second M5 for my collection at a garage sale for an amazing price.

Rambob