Medals of Rear Admiral Roscoe Ernest Schuirmann

Jack's Son

History Man

I always get excited when I see you have posted a group, they are always top notch and museum quality. This is no exception, what an amazing group to an Admiral with such an interesting career!

Philip

Wow! That's even better than what was in the auction! Wonderful with all the additional paperwork. Good going!!

Geez JS your lucky I went for a nice Canuck group instead ;)

This is an outstanding group and Im glad to see that it went such a passionate collector though I wonder if historian is a more accurate description

Truly wonderful group, JS. Congrats on acquiring it. Can't help but wonder, though, why he didn't receive a Navy Distinguished Service Medal? Maybe he stepped on someone's toes along the way. Bob

Robin,

That is an amazing group. The paperwork sends it over the top. An interesting note on the CIA table medal, it seems to be made of three pieces on the obverse and two on the reverse. Bronze and copper. A very high quality, expensive medal to create and beautifully designed.

Dick

Geez JS your lucky I went for a nice Canuck group instead ;)

AND don't think I don't know that! I had my eye on that one too. :lol:

Truly wonderful group, JS. Congrats on acquiring it. Can't help but wonder, though, why he didn't receive a Navy Distinguished Service Medal? Maybe he stepped on someone's toes along the way. Bob

Bob, your question is an excellent one. I've thought about it, and all that I can come up with is that when he was recalled for active duty during WWII, he was doing mainly intelligence work. Perhaps the Navy brass viewed him as a CIA operative more then one of there own. The CIA was new, and I'm sure some rivalry and politics was at work in the area of awards. Perhaps he wound up with a high CIA award as compensation for the Navy's lack of a suitable award??

Dave may be able to fill us in on the workings of the Navy at this level, and in those times.

Holy cow! Looks like you struck pay-dirt there JS! That's one of the most comprehensive groupings I've ever seen! Top-notch stuff without a doubt!

Robin,

That is an amazing group. The paperwork sends it over the top. An interesting note on the CIA table medal, it seems to be made of three pieces on the obverse and two on the reverse. Bronze and copper. A very high quality, expensive medal to create and beautifully designed.

Dick

Dick, after handling the medal, it is as you discribed, a truely beautiful combination of pieces that combine to make a centerpiece. As an early award from a new agency I'm sure no expense was spared.

A fantastic grouping. Fascinating to see all of the related documents. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

A special group in good hands!

Thank you for sharing!

Ricardo.

Thank you Ricardo, you have been coming up with some nice new items as well. :)

Holy cow! Looks like you struck pay-dirt there JS! That's one of the most comprehensive groupings I've ever seen! Top-notch stuff without a doubt!

Seems as he had quite the time in the UK, during the time leading to the war. There are several pictures from that time in his grouping. Not to mention the O.B.E.

Can't help but wonder, though, why he didn't receive a Navy Distinguished Service Medal? Maybe he stepped on someone's toes along the way. Bob

The family always maintained that he never got a DSM because he was OOD of the USS Memphis when it was wrecked at Santo Domingo in 1916.