Camo...Canadian-style.

Sabrejet

Great additions gentlemen...thank you all! ;)

(Justin...you need to give me a masterclass in how to photograph helmets! Create a dedicated thread even? )

I've been reading a couple of Paul Fussell books. His autobiography "Doing Battle", and "The Boys Crusade" about the American infantry in Europe. Fussell is best known for his book "The Great War and Modern Memory". He was a 20 year old front line infantry LT from the 103rd ID in 44-45 being wounded seriously in the Spring of 45. His wartime experience very much shaped his life and his writing post war.

Anyway, he commented in both books about helmet nets.

In "The Boys Crusade" he says this talking about replacements

"Groups of men wearing naked helmets without dark green camouflage nets were obviously so new and pathetic as to be noticed, patronized and set straight."

Clearly it meant something to have that net. Ian had no idea how accurate he was in his original post :)

Nice selection guys

Couple of mine - fixed loop McCord with 2" net and front seam Schlueter swivel loop with M-1944

post-98601-0-83939300-1373857024.jpg

post-98601-0-40850000-1373857041.jpg

Excellent additions...thanks all. ;)

Although helmet nets were primarily a WW2 thing, they were also occasionally used during the VN War. The photo below shows a member of the 173rd Airborne Brigade in VN with a helmet which has been embellished with strips if camo silk interwoven in a Denison net, over his Mitchell cover! I replicated this using original items.

post-8022-0-45708800-1373880619.jpg

littlebuddy

Just to go off topic here a moment gents , but has anyone done a thread on USAAF Flak helmets ?? as much as i have enjoyed reading this post thanks LB

A bit more Paul Fussell on helmet nets to help keep the thread rolling.

"The helmet net could become a low-social-class giveaway by the absence of a worn-out portion on the top; when the helmet was taken off and placed upside down on the ground, the net should be worn away."

Decided to move the small mesh net to the old Schleuter I have without chin straps. Put the larger mesh net on the 101st Infantry Regiment vet's helmet instead.

Looks kind of nice actually.

Helmetnet_zps748ab76a.jpg

Greetings Justin: Thank you for your reply and appreciation. I must also comment on the very impressive collection you've displayed. I find it quite interesting how the different variations of netting has evolved and how the camo effect of nets has been greatly increased either through added covers or scrim(either burlap or oilcloth.....both very effective). Great thread<br />Regards<br />Zeke

SergeantMajorGray

Nice Ian! I have a few of these, and the one thing I've noticed is that some of the Canadian nets tend to get stiff and almost "shrink" a bit making it hard to stretch them over both Brit and Canadian helmets, but especially M-1s. They often used some kind of preservative that caused this I think. It does give them that great "army" musty smell though!

Rick

I have a super shrunk early Canadian net it can't hardly even touch the rim of a MK2. Would soaking it in water help or is there nothing I can do?

I have a super shrunk early Canadian net it can't hardly even touch the rim of a MK2. Would soaking it in water help or is there nothing I can do?

I've never experienced such a problem myself, but as you suggest, maybe soaking it in water and then stretching it over the shell might work? Tip: I always use an elasticated helmet band to hold the net securely on the shell whilst I adjust its fit, otherwise it's prone to move about a bit!

That would involve me having another helmet. You aren't helping me here Ian! :)

That's the net result of my efforts! ;)

Great additions gentlemen...thank you all! ;)

(Justin...you need to give me a masterclass in how to photograph helmets! Create a dedicated thread even? )

It's very simple, though I do not have any photo lights, so I can only take photos in the morning on a nice sunny day or they come out too dark and yellowish, I'll send you a pm

This is one of the nets Scott is selling. The keen eyes will also notice it's on a swivel bail helmet - not very common for me :-)

Rich

post-1878-0-49019200-1374617788.jpg