Camo...Canadian-style.

Sabrejet

I'm a firm believer that "plain Jane" M1s look a little more interesting when displayed with an added net. I recently acquired an unissued WW2 Canadian helmet net. These were quite distinctive because of their two-tone brown/green colour. Although designed to be worn with the Canadian version of the British "Tommy helmet", they also fit over the M1 shell and, just like their British counterparts, were often used by GIs. The difference in the tonality of the two colours is very subtle and I'm not sure how well the camera will pick it up. In the flesh, it's quite obvious. The green section is mostly at the front, with the brown at the rear.

post-8022-0-82311000-1373634201.jpg

post-8022-0-22019200-1373634209.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

I have had one net where the colors were very vibrant and I've had another where you could hardly tell it was two tone.

I have had one net where the colors were very vibrant and I've had another where you could hardly tell it was two tone.

Yeah...sounds about right. I believe the were made with natural colour cord and then randomly dipped in green and brown dyes.

Nice Ian! I have a few of these, and the one thing I've noticed is that some of the Canadian nets tend to get stiff and almost "shrink" a bit making it hard to stretch them over both Brit and Canadian helmets, but especially M-1s. They often used some kind of preservative that caused this I think. It does give them that great "army" musty smell though!

Rick

Nice Ian! I have a few of these, and the one thing I've noticed is that some of the Canadian nets tend to get stiff and almost "shrink" a bit making it hard to stretch them over both Brit and Canadian helmets, but especially M-1s. They often used some kind of preservative that caused this I think. It does give them that great "army" musty smell though!

Rick

This one certainly has "that" smell Rick! Dontcha just love it?! :D

Ian, how bout you rename the thread and see how many types of helmet nets we can put up? I'd love to see all the variations. My lonely contribution. Maybe it could be a resource? Late war American made small mesh.

Smallnet_zps12c8cfdf.jpg

Saw this picture as a kid and always wanted to replicate the look.

Helmetnet_zps7c7987f6.jpg

I never have understood how "Howlin Mad" Smith, the Marine General wandered around with this helmet and net while his marines were wearing their camo covers.

HowlinMad_zps9797d825.jpg

These 82nd guys before Market Garden seem to have a different style

82ndNets_zps520503f3.jpg

The net in the picture worn by the 3rd Division guy is actually made from Canadian/British vehicle netting. A common feature in the MTO. I sold quite a few of these last year on the forum cut from an original Canadian WW2 vehicle net.

Rich

Further to 38Driver's suggestion, here's a selection of netted M1s from my collection...2 x exterior views and 1 x interior. Please feel free to add any which you might have!

Firstly, a WW2 period M1C with a larger mesh net over some camo 'chute fabric.

post-8022-0-32862700-1373721095.jpg

post-8022-0-05130500-1373721101.jpg

post-8022-0-94664500-1373721107.jpg

British / Canadian two-tone, small mesh, vehicle camo net as described by Rich in an earlier post (I think he made a net profit on these! :D )

post-8022-0-09296100-1373721409.jpg

post-8022-0-86160300-1373721417.jpg

post-8022-0-16026800-1373721426.jpg