AAF Goggles? Identification help!

doinworkinvans

OK...here's the curved ball fellers....my "1065s" are marked "PROP USAAF" on one side and "TYPE B8" on the other...but they aren't the same as my other B8s! Usually in the US military, when they introduce an improved model it's A1...A2..etc., so why not Type B8A1s for the later ones?! Confused? Me too!! :blink:

Mine are marked the same as yours Ian! However, our headbands are different.

Why do you think these are a later model? I would venture they are an early version of the B8, later the "B8" marking moved to the bridge and the "No. 1065" markings was eliminated altogether. Just a theory...

Mine are marked the same as yours Ian! Why do you think they are a later model?

The B8s are the later model...IMHO. I maintain that the 1065s were the "prototypes", if you will, which were then standardized as B8s with the minor improvements we discussed earlier. It's getting late here now, but tomorrow, I'll start doing some digging in my references to see if I can find a definitive answer...unless someone on your side of the big pond gets in first! ;)

The B8s are the later model...IMHO. I maintain that the 1065s were the "prototypes", if you will, which were then standardized as B8s with the minor improvements we discussed earlier. It's getting late here now, but tomorrow, I'll start doing some digging in my references to see if I can find a definitive answer...unless someone on your side of the big pond gets in first! ;)

I don't disagree that the 1065 preceeded the B8. But I think the goggles marked 1065 on the bridge AND B8 on the side (like mine and Sabrejet's) preceeded the goggles marked B8 on the bridge.

pararaftanr2

Gentlemen,

The box in the original post is for the Polaroid 1068 goggle kit and is marked as such. This kit included the Aviation Goggle 1065 with instructions and spare lenses. I believe this was the Polaroid designation. These goggles were adopted by the AAF as their model B-8 and the markings transitioned from 1065 to 1065 / B-8 to B-8. The B-8s are usually dated on the frame. The lenses should be interchangeable regardless of how they are marked. They were available before the similar M-1944 goggle, which had a larger field of view and a larger lens. As mentioned in the thread, the strap was simplified along the way with the fabric insert being eliminated and the adjustment simplified.

To confuse the issue even more, the Navy used the 1065 goggle extensively during WW2 as well ( their goggles did not have the B-8 markings) prior to being replaced by the Goggle, Flying, U.S. Navy, Type M-1944, which also had a chamois face pad. Sometime after the war, the Navy started procuring their own exclusive version of the B-8, but now with the marking "B-8 U.S.N." on the frame top and a larger khaki colored elastic strap. All the examples I have seen of this type of goggle are dated from the early 1950s.

Hope this is of some help.

Best regards, Paul

pararaftanr2

Hi gap,

Per the AAF Type Designation Sheets published in Sweeting's book, the type B-7 / AN-6530 goggle became limited standard on 10/13/43 and the B-8 became standard on that same date. As for the dates that the designation on the actual production goggles would have transitioned to "B-8", I have no information.

Best regards, Paul

Gentlemen,

The box in the original post is for the Polaroid 1068 goggle kit and is marked as such. This kit included the Aviation Goggle 1065 with instructions and spare lenses. I believe this was the Polaroid designation. These goggles were adopted by the AAF as their model B-8 and the markings transitioned from 1065 to 1065 / B-8 to B-8. The B-8s are usually dated on the frame. The lenses should be interchangeable regardless of how they are marked. They were available before the similar M-1944 goggle, which had a larger field of view and a larger lens. As mentioned in the thread, the strap was simplified along the way with the fabric insert being eliminated and the adjustment simplified.

To confuse the issue even more, the Navy used the 1065 goggle extensively during WW2 as well ( their goggles did not have the B-8 markings) prior to being replaced by the Goggle, Flying, U.S. Navy, Type M-1944, which also had a chamois face pad. Sometime after the war, the Navy started procuring their own exclusive version of the B-8, but now with the marking "B-8 U.S.N." on the frame top and a larger khaki colored elastic strap. All the examples I have seen of this type of goggle are dated from the early 1950s.

Hope this is of some help.

Best regards, Paul

This was my understanding as well.

• 2 weeks later...
doinworkinvans

Man I opened a can of worms! Thanks for all the great info - I'm gonna have to go back and get a magnafying glass and go back over these goggles and see what I missed. Thanks again!