AAF Goggles? Identification help!

doinworkinvans

Where are you getting the "1065" from? The goggles illustrated at the beginning of this thread are clearly marked "1068".

This is what the strap looks like on my goggles. You can see the buckle/clamp adjuster on the left side.

To confuse matters further, my goggles are marked on the bridge as follows:

Polaroid

Aviation Goggle

No. 1065

TM Reg. U.S. Pat. Off.

However, they are also marked "Property USAAF" on one side and "B8" on the other side.

I am thinking they are an early version of the B8 goggle.

post-51748-0-85587000-1373659259.jpg

doinworkinvans
littlebuddy

my bad Ian got all confused with the numbers!! just completey ignore all i have written :blush: oooopss

Where are you getting the "1065" from? The goggles illustrated at the beginning of this thread are clearly marked "1068".

The case is marked 1068, there is no photo of the bridge area. I suspect though it is marked 1065.

Well I'll be! I just dug mine out and they are indeed marked 1065!! And yet, the box shown at the beginning of this thread is clearly marked 1068...but appear to be the same goggles. Very confusing! :wacko:

post-8022-0-53114700-1373659885.jpg

post-8022-0-73688700-1373659892.jpg

Well I'll be! I just dug mine out and they are indeed marked 1065!! And yet, the box shown at the beginning of this thread is clearly marked 1068...but appear to be the same goggles. Very confusing! :wacko:

Ian.......you have goggles for all occasions! :D

my bad Ian got all confused with the numbers!! just completey ignore all i have written :blush: oooopss

No...you were right Carl!

Ian.......you have goggles for all occasions! :D

JS...you above all should know a man isn't properly dressed without his goggles. Evening goggles...casual goggles. You know how it is?

littlebuddy

ah haaa so i wasnt get all confused ?? the lens bag for my 1065's is marked " POLAROID ALL PURPOSE GOGGLE KIT No 1021 "

LB

ah haaa so i wasnt get all confused ?? the lens bag for my 1065's is marked " POLAROID ALL PURPOSE GOGGLE KIT No 1021 "

LB

Arrrgh! Are they lenses for the multi-purpose goggles with the grey sponge frame?

littlebuddy

Right , the box at the start of this thread is the goggle kit No 1065 !! which is just the lenses ???

littlebuddy

OK lads...can we agree that the 1065s were later standarised as B8s, with a tweak or two?!

yes we can Ian !!! :D

JS...you above all should know a man isn't properly dressed without his goggles. Evening goggles...casual goggles. You know how it is?

How foolish of me, where IS my head!

Are there any markings on the sides?

I think that the 1068 reference is to the entire goggle kit which includes lenses.

littlebuddy

Are there any markings on the sides?

I think that the 1068 reference is to the entire goggle kit which includes lenses.

no, the goggle kit is just the lenses and the roll or case they come in?? the 1068 is the rubber frame ?

isn it ?

i meant to write "the 1065 " not 1068 my typing error ! sorry for the confusion

LB

OK...here's the curved ball fellers....my "1065s" are marked "PROP USAAF" on one side and "TYPE B8" on the other...but they aren't the same as my other B8s! Usually in the US military, when they introduce an improved model it's A1...A2..etc., so why not Type B8A1s for the later ones?! Confused? Me too!! :blink:

post-8022-0-52415200-1373662316.jpg

post-8022-0-63341700-1373662323.jpg

littlebuddy

trust you Ian !!! :lol: im going to go and dig mine out again to see if they are the sane as yours !!

LB

trust you Ian !!! :lol: im going to go and dig mine out again to see if they are the sane as yours !!

LB

"Sane"?! Was that a Freudian slip Carl?! :D

littlebuddy

blooming school teachers !! even after leaving school ,30 odd years ago , they still pull me up on my spelling !!!! :lol: