AAF Goggles? Identification help!

doinworkinvans

doinworkinvans

Picked these up last year...can someone help me identify what exactly they are or if they are service related. Are they WW2 period? They definitely look the part.

Goggles1.jpg

doinworkinvans

The only markings I see are on the front of that brown box. I see no AAF markings...I beginning to think I got duped!

SergeantMajorGray

The only markings I see are on the front of that brown box. I see no AAF markings...I beginning to think I got duped!

I don't know what the repros look like or if there are any. But not having any markings is odd.

Going completely by memory here:

I think you have a nice set of original WWII B-8 aviator goggles complete with spare lenses in different colors and the box.

These are usually marked on top of the black rubber frame, right above the notch for the wearer's nose, and they don't say much more than "Goggle, B-8" or something to that effect.

Those are actually the earlier 1068s. They preceded the B8s...they have a different strap arrangement...and are much less common. Great find!

Interesting, how are the 1068's marked? I know there was a difference between the B8 and the M1944 goggles but was unawares of the model 1068.

The frame has "1068" molded at the top in the usual place. The main difference between them and B8s is the elastic strap which is light khaki and has a more "complicated" buckle arrangement than the B8s which had OD straps and a simplified buckle/adjustor.

I recently picked up a similar pair of goggles with a slightly different strap arrangement. - the strap is composed of two grey elastic sections with a white cotton fabric section sewn in between. The strap utilizes a small metal clamp for adjustment. The clamp is silver and marked "pat pending" on the back.

My goggles are marked "Polaroid", "Aviator Goggles" and "No. 1065" on the top of the rubber frame. The right side of the frame is marked "Property USAAF" in a circular pattern and "B8" on the left side. Was wondering if they are early or late version of the B8.

My goggles are marked the same on the top as the goggles that Sabrejet posted from ebay, but the strap is different (one piece combination of elastic/fabric, but not OD like M1944 goggles) and they are marked B8 and Property USAAF on the sides. Anyone seen these before?

As an aside, although the goggles on ebay are identified as No. 1068, they are marked No. 1065.

OK...here's my theory concerning these goggles. It may be a little wide of the mark but I think it's plausible. Polaroid developed the goggles as their "Model 1068". The AAF trialed them, liked them, suggested a few minor changes and then standardized them as B8s, the successor to the B7s. I have both 1068s and B8s. Both are mold-marked accordingly. The main difference is that the B8s have an OD elastic headband with a different buckle adjuster to the former...pretty much the same as the headband on the Army's M1944s. They look essentially similar and, though I haven't tried it myself, I assume the coloured lenses are interchangeable 1068 > B8?

littlebuddy

OK...here's my theory concerning these goggles. It may be a little wide of the mark but I think it's plausible. Polaroid developed the goggles as their "Model 1068". The AAF trialed them, liked them, suggested a few minor changes and then standardized them as B8s, the successor to the B7s. I have both 1068s and B8s. Both are mold-marked accordingly. The main difference is that the B8s have an OD elastic headband with a different buckle adjuster to the former...pretty much the same as the headband on the Army's M1944s. They look essentially similar and, though I haven't tried it myself, I assume the coloured lenses are interchangeable 1068 > B8?

Regarding the lenses being interchageable Ian , i have just checked both sets of lenses against each other and they are of a different shape so i dont think they were

LB

Regarding the lenses being interchageable Ian , i have just checked both sets of lenses against each other and they are of a different shape so i dont think they were

LB

Hmmm....curiouser and curiouser!

littlebuddy

I have had an idea on this , the 1065's are marked as thus "polaroid aviation goggle No 1065 tm reg us pat off " no AAF nomenclature at all , but the B8's are marked thus "flying goggle AAF TYPE B-8 TM REG US PAT OFF"

could the 1065's have been a civilian type of goggle that was used early on by the AAF then they procured there own designated type ??

just a thought

LB