Question on 14th ACR Patch Variant

ed101

I picked up a small bag of stuff at an estate sale and found a white background name tape, gold on black US Army tape, afew common SSI and this group of 14th ACR SSI. I just noticed that the snakes are brown, not red like all the other 14th ACR SSI that I have seen. I thought it may have been a laundering result, but one of them appears unworn. Perhaps a German made variant? Any information would be appreciated.

EDIT: Pictures are lost

They used the brown snake on the original patches, but changed it to red for the later patches. I've heard that the snake was always supposed to be red and the brown was an error, but I've also heard that they just decided that a red snake looked better for the later issues. Who knows? However, the brown snake versions, while not especially hard to find, are much more desirable tht the red, rarity-wise.

Patch Johnson

They used the brown snake on the original patches, but changed it to red for the later patches. I've heard that the snake was always supposed to be red and the brown was an error, but I've also heard that they just decided that a red snake looked better for the later issues. Who knows? However, the brown snake versions, while not especially hard to find, are much more desirable tht the red, rarity-wise.

Patch Johnson

Hi Patch,

Thank you for your input. Very helpful.

Best Regards,

-Ed