Camouflage helmets

dustin

Some of you may find these images interesting as some helmets posted here look similar. In preparation for Sicily.

these helmets appear to be standard M-1's.

post-56-0-73773100-1373564653.jpg

A very interesting photo..."Mickey Mouse" style camo, probably achieved by over-painting the OD with sand coloured anti-vesicant paint which would have blended in well with the dusty Sicilian landscape.

Hürtgenwald

Many of the airborne forces were shot down by friendly fire. I wonder how many of this type of painted helmet survived.

GFAB of the 82nd Airborne (either the 319th or the 320th), a battery with 105mm howitzers as opposed to the normal 75mm howitzers.

GFAB of the 82nd Airborne (either the 319th or the 320th), a battery with 105mm howitzers as opposed to the normal 75mm howitzers.

I agree with Glen that they're 105mm howitzers, not pack 75s. I wonder if this is a cannon company, from a GIR, rather than an GFAB, loading these gliders?

Anybody catch the M3 knives, in M6 scabbards, in post 1? SWEET!

Steve

• 4 months later...

Are artillery men wearing overalls ?

Who's the guy leaning on Gavin's Carbine ?

Last but not least, Ian is that your helmet ? Very nice and if it isn't it's still very nice.

That guy leaning on the carbine is the other guys boss.....Gen. Ridgeway! Oh and Manny that isn't Gavin. Gavin was a Col. on Sicily....commanding the 05.

Manny that looks like Max Taylor but I'm not sure he was a Gen. at that time.

Ronnie

odd that all these guys a wearing leggings and service shoes as opposed to jump boots.

Glider-riders were equipped as regular infantrymen.

Burning Hazard

Curious what would be the value of an original; lets say a guaranteed original painted M1 named to a Vet?

You think it would hit somewhere in the 10K region? These don't seem to be as big of a rage compared to D-Bales but they are still airborne M1's.

Johan Willaert

Ridgeway's helmet now resides in the De Trez collection after he bought it from a Penna based collector several years ago.

It is on display in the refurbished La Gleize, Belgium museum

post-92-0-49389800-1386946393.jpg

That guy leaning on the carbine is the other guys boss.....Gen. Ridgeway! Oh and Manny that isn't Gavin. Gavin was a Col. on Sicily....commanding the 05.

Manny that looks like Max Taylor but I'm not sure he was a Gen. at that time.

Ronnie

• 7 years later...