Big Red One Assault museum, colleville sur mer. Normandy.

Nine O Nine

Nine O Nine

BIG RED ONE ASSAULT MUSEUM

14710 Colleville-Sur-Mer OMAHA BEACH

FRANCE

Hameau Le Bray-D514

I've just returned from a week in Normandy and have got to say this museum was my highlight of the trip we went twice! I've been to Normandy about 8 times and somehow just never got round to going but so glad I made it this time.

It isn't the biggest museum in Normandy but the displays and items on display are fantastic and really show the human side of the men of the fighting first in World War Two as well as fascinating items found locally.

The owners are really passionate about the division and really helpful. My partner Lisa has been researching a member of the I&R platoon of the 16th for some time for an elderly lady in Weymouth who was engaged to a member of the platoon and never saw him again and the owners have offered to help research him in anyway they can.

Will get some pictures posted as soon as I can.

Tom.

I second that ....me and Tom had an amazing time. it's a great little museum and the owners were really helpful......we'll deffo return.

Lisa

Hi I was there june 6th, 2004 and I thought it was somewhat of a tourist trap. But opinions can differ of course ;-) Like to see some pictures - perhaps it has changed in the meantime. Cheers!

EasyRed1944

I've been there last week and will go back in 2 weeks, it is and stays the BEST private collection / museum in Normandy to me. Just wonderfull !

It has changed somewhat from the early years, and is in a larger purpose built museum now and well worth a visit, lots of personal items on display

Lisa

I would also + what everyone else has said I Would Highly Recommend it if your in that area of Normandy to add it to your Visit list.

I have Visited that Museum and its an Excellent Museum with great Displays inside the Museum the owner also has Personal Items Belonging to Different Soldiers from the 1st I.D that were Found on Omaha Beach Head which are simply amazing! I have Photos taken from inside this Museum on this Forum MUSEUMS, BATTLEFIELDS, AND MONUMENTS Page.

• 4 weeks later...

Pierre Louis has done a lot of work in his "Big Red 1 Museum". A few years ago he dug up a Belgian Gate that I probably walked over many times and didn't know it was there! I understand a new museum opened up at Colleville this past June. I hope to be back next June.

Tim

www.ww2dday.com