ADA Museum's new arrival!

Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian

Hey all,

I figured I'd share our new arrival here. She just arrived today from Ft. Lee and is already on exhibit next to her stablemate, the M19. The addition of the M39 completes our Korean War ADA vehicle exhibit and I'm rather excited to have it on display. While there were thousands of M39s made, only six are left. This one is in very good overall condition. She was stored outside at some point, so there is some rust damage, but she's been maintained indoors for at least the recent past.

Why an M39 you say? Well, while not a purely ADA vehicle, the M39 served as a prime mover for FA and ADA pieces in WWII and Korea. During the Korean War, two M39s were assigned to each HQ section in an AAA Automatic Weapons battalion, and the 52nd AAA Bn took it one step further and cut out the ring .50 cal mount and dropped a quad-50 turret in for added firepower. I'll post more soon, but here's the first pic:

post-5470-0-46425200-1373513631.jpg

Wow, that thing is amazing! I have a few family members who were Anti Aircraft Artillery crewmen. So I have a soft spot for anything AAA related. I cant wait to see more pics. Thanks for sharing!

This is a variant based on the M18 Hellcat as far as I know.

The M-39 Armored Utility Vehicle.

Limiited use in WWII but mainly used in Korea.

Erwin

Cobrahistorian

Erwin,

You're exactly right. M18 Hellcat, minus the turret and ammo stowage. I've got some more pics that I took of the offload, but I'll shoot some good walkaround pics tomorrow.

Jon

That's a rare beauty Jon. A great prime-mover for your wheeled 85mm (?) AA gun...when it's fixed!

Cobrahistorian

Here's a shot of the HQ/52nd AAA M39 in Korea. I was hoping to do this with ours, but it turns out the ring mount is welded in place, not bolted. We'll have to do some restoration work on the .50 mount, but I think we can get it done. You can just make out the 8A52AA bumper code on this vehicle. It was the only one so-modified, but apparently it worked extremely well according to the AARs and Antiaircraft Journal articles I've found.

post-5589-0-02661100-1410659418.jpg

Cobrahistorian

I shot about 40 pics of it yesterday. Gotta upload them to my photo bucket account and then I will get them up here. Lots of welds to bust on it so we can get hatches and stowage bins open. Driver's compartment is all there though!

Jon

Cobrahistorian

No sir, the ADA Museum and the ADA branch moved to Ft. Sill in 2009. The 1st Armored Division Museum is now at the old PX building at Bliss.

El Bibliotecario

Thanks for the update. I knew the ADA branch moved to Sill, but my Ft Bliss visits usually take me no further onto main post than the Class VI store, so wasnt sure about the musuem. I foolishly believed they wouldnt spend the money to haul all the junk to Oklahoma. Silly me.