Gold Rush era Pistol Haul

Leatherneck72

Quick take them off of the net before some one in Ca. see's them and trys to outlaw them too. Very nice, are the one's on the left Colts?

Leatherneck72

Yes, there are some Colt's. There are two 1849 "pocket" models, and a Manhattan pocket Navy on the top left. The "pepperbox" is an Allen and Thurber. All are classic Gold Rush guns.

This might be a dumb question, but is it still possible to get ammo for some, if not all of those guns?

I'm sure somewhere, someone is still making ammo for these. So people like to shoot their vintage firearms, but I'm sure someone will make rounds......for a price!

The Colt's are all cap and ball (blackpowder) so yes there is still ammunition available for them if one were to choose to shoot them. I certainly wouldn't myself. The revolvers on the left look to be very early Smith & Wesson, probably in a .22 rimfire short? Fantastic find!

Not a good idea to shoot these unless inspected by a gunsmith- yeah ammo is available but in black powder for those cartridge guns- no smokeless in these babies- you'll get more than you bargained for -ouch- no gun left-- cap and ball is real easy, no brass- they are in effect a muzzleloader a lot of serious collectors will not try to fire these for safety and you are wearing out the gun and taking a chance on wrecking a piece of history- just my thoughts

I recommend not firing them, they're historical pieces, the metalurgy on these old time guns is not made like a modern gun they are very risky to shoot

California is full of collections like this, lots of militaria & antique gun collectors here

ahem,

as we all 'know' from various TV shows, if they can be shot the value of them goes way, way up, and we all know that historical value is nothing compared to that sweet, sweet pile-o-cash you can make selling them - and of course NO ONE will ever want to buy an old gun, or cannon, that does not shoot....

I wonder how many idiots have gotten hurt trying to shoot an old gun so as to make it more valuable.

Jonathan,

So true... I laugh whenever I see those clowns on tv having to shoot their old pistol to increase the value... in fact I could probably double the value of a couple of mine, if I could find some triple F.. I have heard from a friend of mine on the board of officers of the Baltimore show that they are going to add a firing range so some of the old timers can fire up their old smoke poles to prove they work (it's a joke, i'm kidding!). I'm sure the guy with the old flint rifle from the battle of Saratoga will be first in line to double his money.... then again maybe not, he too is probably still looking for some Double or 4 F ..

Jonathan,

So true... I laugh whenever I see those clowns on tv having to shoot their old pistol to increase the value... in fact I could probably double the value of a couple of mine, if I could find some triple F.. I have heard from a friend of mine on the board of officers of the Baltimore show that they are going to add a firing range so some of the old timers can fire up their old smoke poles to prove they work (it's a joke, i'm kidding!). I'm sure the guy with the old flint rifle from the battle of Saratoga will be first in line to double his money.... then again maybe not, he too is probably still looking for some Double or 4 F ..

Just about anyone who is into War Between the States (or earlier), reenacting/living history will have a source for any grade of black powder you want. But I'm with you guys, I wouldn't shoot any old vintage black powder firearm. I don't care what those clowns on Pawn Stars do!

Sgt Saunders

They all look in really great shape! Can we see some close-ups of the cap and balls? They look like they have most of there original finish. If the bores in the cylinders and the barrel bore are not rusty and pitted, then they would be safe to shoot. If in doubt have them evaluated buy a gun smith. Black powder does not have the pressure that smokeless powder does. I own and have shot many antique revolvers and rifles. I reload black powder cartages and have shot many a Cowboy Action shoot and never had a gun blow up. I have several close friends that shoot C&B revolvers and other pistol and rifles for years and on a regular basis and never lost one. As for adding or subtraction from the value of them being shot I guess it would be safe to say, If there not new in the box/ super mint condition, it's not going to devalued them, or increase the value one way or another. If you don't know your antique firearms find someone that does that would help you shoot them safely. I'm sure they'll agree with me that there safe to shoot. If your ever in my neck of the woods we would be happy to invite you over to shoot some real pieces of history. You'd be right at home.

I have several cans of 4x,3x, and2x powder! Many of the cartridge guns, have smokeless pressure equivalent loads, due to the popularity of Cowboy Shooting. Check the SAAMI specs before firing any ammo in an ancient butt gun. I have and do fire a number of antique guns, and concur with Sgt. Saunders wholeheartedly. My philosophy is; Gun, car, knife or axe, if it is not used for what it was designed for....it has NO value!

Sparrow

Sgt Saunders

As far as the small revolvers, they are probably chambered for a 22 rim fire black powder loads. Do not shoot modern 22 smokeless ammo in them. They may or may not blow up right off but it will stretch the frame. At this time I don't know of anyone that carries modern 22 black powder rim fire loads. If the pepper box is a cap and ball, and is good shape, that also would be safe to shoot. But with all black powder your going to have to clean it throughly with hot soapy water and oil it afterwords, or it will rust. And it won't take long.

Garandomatic

Would a .22 CB short be a consideration, given that they are so under-powered? I don't have a dog in the fight either way, just curious.

I still shoot my greatx4 grandpa's .38 C&B rifle, would like to get a deer with it someday.

Sgt Saunders

Would a .22 CB short be a consideration, given that they are so under-powered? I don't have a dog in the fight either way, just curious.

I still shoot my greatx4 grandpa's .38 C&B rifle, would like to get a deer with it someday.

It's still a smokeless round. Even thou there way under powered, I wouldn't chance it. It's the pressure spike in the smokeless powder that would lead me to say no. Now if you knew what you were doing and were an accomplished reloader, and you had a die for 22 rim fire; you could pull the bullet, resize the case mouth, charge the case with black powder, then seat and re-crimp the bullet, and you would have a modern black powder 22 rim fire round. I've never done that and have no info or dies to do it, but I believe it's possible. Maybe another reloader of the "Dark Side" will chime in that's done it.