USAF rank tab

AndrewA74

Hello,

I picked this up aroound Ft. Bragg. Why is it on Desert camo opposed to the normal tan fabric?

Andrew

post-889-1207499885.jpg

post-889-1207499926.jpg

Hello,

I picked this up aroound Ft. Bragg. Why is it on Desert camo opposed to the normal tan fabric?

Andrew

This is the Rank insignia sleeve that slides over the tab on a Desert Cammie Gortex jacket worn by deployed USAF members in South West Asia. So to be replaced by the new Airmen Battle Uniform tiger strip pattern.

This is the Rank insignia sleeve that slides over the tab on a Desert Cammie Gortex jacket worn by deployed USAF members in South West Asia. So to be replaced by the new Airmen Battle Uniform tiger strip pattern.

I understand that, but why is it camo and not tan twill like the other ones I have?

Andrew

I understand that, but why is it camo and not tan twill like the other ones I have?

Andrew

Based upon my one experiences, when you deploy, you get your gortex jacket after you get the theater. Sometimes insignias aren't readily available in the BX/PX, so a guy would go to the alterations shop and have them "cook" one up for you. Seem it done many times. In theater, cami material is readily availabel from surplus uniforms that folks who left theater left behind.

Based upon my one experiences, when you deploy, you get your gortex jacket after you get the theater. Sometimes insignias aren't readily available in the BX/PX, so a guy would go to the alterations shop and have them "cook" one up for you. Seem it done many times. In theater, cami material is readily availabel from surplus uniforms that folks who left theater left behind.

I can understand that. But, in my opinion this is a US Made patch. I have seen many Theatre made patches, but unless the alterations shops have the machines that US made patches are made on, this is most likely a US Made patch. Also, the star in the middle is not filled, like the other US Made tan ones.

Andrew

gorio1961 is right, I have then in green, BDU, tan, tan BDU and blue officer and enlisted. The lady that owns the seam shop up here makes then out of scrap uniform fabric. The green, tan and blue are manufactured by Vanguard and Susco and probobly other companies.

Mark

gorio1961 is right, I have then in green, BDU, tan, tan BDU and blue officer and enlisted. The lady that owns the seam shop up here makes then out of scrap uniform fabric. The green, tan and blue are manufactured by Vanguard and Susco and probobly other companies.

Mark

Additional note about the star not being filled in. Back int he day and "open star" simply meant you were a Senior Airman (aka NOT an NCO), upon assumption of Sergeant (E-4) usually 1 year time in grade as a SrA, your new insignia had the star filled in. When the USAF decided to do away with Sgt (E-4), all stars on all junior grade (E-2 thru E-4) insignias were solid. Your rank tab is probably from the early 1990's or quite possibly an error from more recent times. Either way, it is cooked up, NOT produced by Vanguard or Susco.

Hope this helps.

Additional note about the star not being filled in. Back int he day and "open star" simply meant you were a Senior Airman (aka NOT an NCO), upon assumption of Sergeant (E-4) usually 1 year time in grade as a SrA, your new insignia had the star filled in. When the USAF decided to do away with Sgt (E-4), all stars on all junior grade (E-2 thru E-4) insignias were solid. Your rank tab is probably from the early 1990's or quite possibly an error from more recent times. Either way, it is cooked up, NOT produced by Vanguard or Susco.

Hope this helps.

So, if I'm reading this right, this was most likely custom made?

Thanks for the info.

Andrew

So, if I'm reading this right, this was most likely custom made?

Thanks for the info.

Andrew

Yes, that is my opinion.