1915 pattern Prussian Kürassier (Heavy Cavalry) spiked helmet

mvmhm

Our resident genealogist brought this in today - a 1915 pattern Prussian Kürassier (Heavy Cavalry) spiked helmet, which as you can see, needs a little cleaning. A couple of the domed rivets were replaced a long, long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away). Her father in law passed away recently and she and her husband are cleaning out his house. This likely belonged to Dave's grandfather..he said he remembers playing with it and a rifle when he was a little kid - they think the rifle is still in the attic too.

This example is dated 1916, and the Wappen is still attached with two leather pieces...which will make trying to remove it to clean the helmet a delicate task, and I'll need to find a set of Kokarden and an M91 leather chin strap. But, cornsidering it's been in an attic all these years, it's still in pretty good condition, and the rust is just surface rust so it should clean up OK.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-72947600-1373488464.jpg

post-3423-0-39491000-1373488477.jpg

post-3423-0-99262800-1373488504.jpg

This inside still has a lot of the black paint, and the front visor has it's distinctive green paint too...can't really make out who the maker is...it's dated 1916 and "Schu????, Berlin".

Mark sends

post-3423-0-47960500-1373488598.jpg

post-3423-0-12964000-1373488605.jpg

It'll look nice when I get it cleaned up and a chinstrap added...I cleaned a small area on the backside and it came out pretty good....but either way, the price was definitely right!

Mark sends

Greetings,

The helmet is a Jäger zu Pferde metalhelm. The spike base for these is supposed to be a cloverleaf design and it looks like the rivets are artificial so I think this is an Ersatz helmet. If memory serves, the korkarden worn on these are both standard size and slightly larger.

Of course, I've been tortured by allegies for the past week and my eyesight may be a little fuzzy. :) Neat find.

Best,

Peter

JzP helmets were blackend steel, which this is not..also the officer's helmets had the clover leaf design, those for Mannschaften had the "football" shaped base....and the JzP helmets didn't have the "ring" on the spike....

I cleaned most of the rust off and will post pictures later....

Mark sends

I used a #2 lead pencil to work the rust off...took a couple of hours but I think it looks a lot better...I didn't want to try to remove the Wappen since it has the original leather shims holding it on, so I couldn't get it as clean as the rest. I think I'll leave it like this rather than try to make it any shinier - but I am going to take a soft toothbrush and clean the grime off the eagle.....now to find a chinstrap and cockades....

Mark sends

post-3423-0-24290400-1373575731.jpg

post-3423-0-86456900-1373575738.jpg

post-3423-0-34307700-1373575746.jpg

JzP helmets were blackend steel, which this is not..also the officer's helmets had the clover leaf design, those for Mannschaften had the "football" shaped base....and the JzP helmets didn't have the "ring" on the spike....

I cleaned most of the rust off and will post pictures later....

Mark sends

Greetings,

I stand corrected.

Best,

Peter